Circuit Sword (2020 ver) Blank Screen in Setup

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
PixellVixen

Circuit Sword (2020 ver) Blank Screen in Setup

Post by PixellVixen » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:11 pm

I am currently trying to run my Circuit Sword through the setup process in preparation of the rest of my mounts coming in. I am having trouble getting any display on my screens. I did get the upgraded version and my set came with the standard and the 640x480. The standard screen I can tell is on - there is a green dot in the middle and some very faint lighting, but otherwise is just a black screen.

I at first was concerned that since my finger slipped off of the power button the first time I tried to turn it on, that I messed something up in the initial setup with the test mode, so I formatted the SD and retried, but this is ongoing for me.

My 640x480 will turn on but only has a black screen with white bars - no actual image to go off of, which I presume is because I don't have it properly set up for that resolution... Anyone that can give some guidance as to what may be happening with the screens would be greatly appreciated.

The file I used to install RetroPie is "rpi-4.4-rpi2_rpi3-wifi_CSP_CM3_20200705-181021," though I am unsure of the version that is in this install.

BigStotty

Re: Circuit Sword (2020 ver) Blank Screen in Setup

Post by BigStotty » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:35 am

You need to enable the 640x480 in the config file first or it will only show the white bars.

Stick the sd card in a pc and try the below

https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... 40x480-lcd

PixellVixen

Post by PixellVixen » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:25 pm

BigStotty wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:35 am
Stick the sd card in a pc and try the below

https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... 40x480-lcd
I did this just to be able to see something on the screen at least.
This one also just powers on the screen but still shows nothing. Bright side, it doesn't do the white bars anymore though so I think one thing was fixed :).

I included a picture this time since I wasn't able to before.

I did notice a light near the compute module that has the little word "overtemp" printed next to it is on, which I presume is not a great sign. This is the little orange light on the right side of the module in my attached photo.

I do have the heatsink on and haven't stored it anywhere warm nor plugged in the battery backwards. I always try to keep it from touching other metal bits or doing anything to short it out. But, admittedly, I'm not sure if this is a bad sign or not.

It is on every time I turn on the board.

Still at a loss as to what to do, so I appreciate any more guidance on this. Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
20200821_221733.jpg
20200821_221733.jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 5447 times

BigStotty

Post by BigStotty » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:35 am

Just notice the image name you are using and i think that is for the pocket, try https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sword/releases

PixellVixen

Post by PixellVixen » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 pm

BigStotty wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:35 am
Just notice the image name you are using and I think that is for the pocket, try https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sword/releases
Ah! Thanks for pointing that out, dunno how I got that mixed up!

Got it installed in place of the Shield OS and made sure the solder pads under the module 3 were bridged per the wiki but now when I hold the power button to turn it on as I have before and now the overtemp light will turn off, and after this, the other lights will flicker and then it will power down, still without anything on the screen. The battery and charge/power cable light will remain on however, and I'm able to re-activate power and it will do the same things in that pattern.

Tester mode was activated and the higher-resolution screen settings were activated in the config.

BigStotty

Post by BigStotty » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 am

Have you tired hooking up the power button board to it? Sorry i cant be much more help as its going into the hardware relm.
I would maybe drop this into kites support thread to see if he can help more or asks the mods to reindex this thread
viewforum.php?f=51

Retrobob

Post by Retrobob » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 pm

I have a similar issue, following step by step on the wiki. My screen doesn't light up at all, and I have tried going through the steps on the wiki multiple times with no success. Hopefully we find success soon.

BigStotty

Post by BigStotty » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:49 am

Seems there are others with this issue
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10272