Inserts behind buttons for tactile feedback?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
riddleza

Inserts behind buttons for tactile feedback?

Post by riddleza » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:43 pm

Do you guys recommend or advocate for putting something between the buttons and the silicone pad of a GBZ build to improve the tactile feedback or responsiveness of the buttons?

Im gathering parts for my first build after just receiving a Circuit Sword from Kite. I have been watching some YouTube videos on how to assemble it, namely Aaron Morris'. He cuts out rounds of plastic for each button and inserts them down into the back of the button. He adds that for the rear buttons (L&R) this trick is necessary or the buttons may not work at all. He also says that the buttons can feel mushy or crunchy if pushed at a certain angle, which i dont want.

Is this a real problem? If so, is it a real problem for all buttons, or just the rears? If it needs to be addressed, is there another way to accomplish this without having a piece of plastic floating around back there and crunching with each button push? I am considering perhaps filling them up 20% or so with epoxy or something, or perhaps gluing the plastic cutouts into the back of the button instead.

Any input, experiences or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

millski

Re: Inserts behind buttons for tactile feedback?

Post by millski » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:16 pm

I think it depends on how you mount the buttons. With a well designed button well they should match the feel of the original A & B buttons, assuming you’re using the same buttons and silicons. I fiddled with button mounts and ended up making them deeper so that the buttons sat more flush with the back of the shell, thus giving them more of a button tunnel to travel through. They seem the same as original buttons to me!

MrErickson

Re: Inserts behind buttons for tactile feedback?

Post by MrErickson » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:08 pm

I've had builds that needed support to make the buttons feel better (my opinion) and I've had builds that didn't need them. It could be the style if buttons I was using too, I've used NES style buttons as X/Y for some builds.