Troubles drilling x y holes on Freeplay zero and more

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Philosojustice

Troubles drilling x y holes on Freeplay zero and more

Post by Philosojustice » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 am

Hello,
A few days ago I started my very first GBZ project - a Freeplay zero, and while I was very excited at first, it turned out to be more difficult than I thought.
With my second shell I managed to finish making more room for the screen (though now you can also see a bit of the bezels on one side), but when I tried to drill the holes for the x and y buttons I got stuck again: Even though I had drilled the holes with extra care, it seems the buttons can't fit due to the button chambers of the a and b button or the walls of the other parts ([pictures of the drillings are here](https://imgur.com/a/5LgF0rz))
I'm going to buy another shell from AliExpress but I don't know what I did wrong, so I worry I'll just make the same mistake.
I also noticed that the USB and HDMI connectors are just the tiniest of bits blocked by the cartridge chamber but sanding it would cause troubles when printing something to cover it \ I didn't see any reference to this on any other guide. Am I the only one?
Has anyone here built a Freeplay zero and can give me advice?
I thought about buying a trimmed ips shell from AliExpress in hopes to start out with more space for the screen without the messy work (I don't have a Dremel). Is it a smart move?
Thanks in advance! :)