Backlight Issue with Stock screen - 1.3c Circuit Sword

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Bogaman

Backlight Issue with Stock screen - 1.3c Circuit Sword

Post by Bogaman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:45 pm

I had a beautiful Boxypixel build complete (1.3c Circuit Sword), and was cleaning the installed screen with firm, but not aggressive pressure when the colors shifted. I took everything apart and fiddled with the screen to board connection, and the colors shifted some more and I eventually lost my backlight.

I had a second 320x240 screen around so tried that too. Using a flashlight to illuminate, it seems that both screens are showing an image, but the backlight isn't working.

By connecting the + and - pads on the 320x240 screen's ribbon to the board's 3.3v point and ground, I was sometimes able to get my backlight to show. It would flicker or fade quickly though. The colors still look off.

I reflowed the ribbon connector on the board and took photos with a macro lens of the connector inside out. I don't see any flaws or bridged pins. I am competent at soldering small things. I cleaned the connector carefully with alcohol.

HDMI out works fine.

To help me troubleshoot, I have some questions:

-Is there anything else like a fuse or capacitor on the board I should be testing? The board's connector seems the obvious problem since it is the only thing that protrudes.
-Does anyone have a pin diagram for the stock screen? Which pin carries the voltage?
-Is my best bet de-soldering the 54pin connector and adding a new one?
-Are there other mods I can try that bypass the screen connector on the board? I don't mind milling the shell a bit. I know I can use composite video if I need to.
Attachments
IMG_3478.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG (86.55 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG (108.49 KiB) Viewed 1800 times