Joystick Help Thread

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Roller Toaster

Joystick Help Thread

Post by Roller Toaster » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 am

This thread can be a reference for all joysticks people find and decide to use in their builds. If you have a joystick that hasn't been discovered yet, post the information you find in this thread.

PS VITA 2000
Personally, I really like the feel of this stick. Instead of the slide-around motion of the PSP stick, it actually tilts like a typical analog stick. The range of motion feels a bit small, but the tilt motion feels much more comfortable to play with. A downside to this is that you need a 0.5mm 6-pin connector in order to make it work, but those are cheap so it's not a huge issue.
The stick can be found on Aliexpress for $3.
I got the connector from Walmart because I couldn't wait a month.
This pinout is specific to this orientation which I felt would fit best in the GBZ, but if you rotate it all you need to do is swap the X and Y connections.
PS VITA 2000 pinoutShow
PSP 1000
This is probably the most common stick you'll see in builds. The base has more depth than the Vita stick, but it still fits perfectly between the shell and any AIO PCB you may have. Kite recommended it for the SAIO build, and the pinout image is from Kite's SAIO support page. One thing to note about this one is that it has a dust protector around the base of the stick, which when pressed against the GBZ shell can cause a lot of stiffness/friction when trying to rotate the stick. I just popped the joystick's grip off and removed that piece, and now it works like a charm. This stick also seems to be the easiest to solder n' go, with 4 large pads on the bottom.
PSP 1000 pinoutShow
3DS
Coming soon!
Last edited by Roller Toaster on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

moooarcuuuus

Re: Joysticks

Post by moooarcuuuus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:48 am

Analog Joysticks:
With a Multimeter, most Joysticks are 2axis potis.
Some are digital with hall sensors, Blackberry trackball for example. The output is a variable pulsetime.
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

fablespirt

Re: Joystick Help Thread

Post by fablespirt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:32 pm

adafruit has a joystick. https://www.adafruit.com/product/512

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks for this thread! I spent a considerable amount of time troubleshooting the PSP 1000 due to the stick not returning to the home position. I didn't realize that plastic piece was just a dust cover. I thought it was needed for the stick to work properly between the case.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Honestly, I am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting my psp 1000 joystick. I used the above schematic and had 0 input from the joystick. The system didn't even register it was there. Then I looked at another users finished product thread. Looked at how they soldered the cables and then re-did mine so that they would be similar to his. Still no luck.

Is there a setting I have to enable to get joysticks to work? I lined up the 3.3V with the one from the schematic to the 3.3v connector on the SAIO. The ground is lined up an the X and Y are lined up. I am so confused right now.

Edit: In tester mode it says my joystick is OK but when I try to configure my controller when first turning on the system, it won't let me register the joystick to left joystick functions.

maxgiddens

Nintendo Switch Joycon Replacement Joystick

Post by maxgiddens » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Has anyone considered using the now available Joycon replacement joysticks for a pi3 piBoy? They appear to be a lot slimmer than a full sized joysitick, although they have a tiny ribbon cable to contend with. Other than that I would assume they are probably better to use than the psp analog nub.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3D-Rocker- ... SwukVbKouT

kite

Re:

Post by kite » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:59 am

UPDATE:

Tested out a joystick, works great! The pinout, with the joystick facing up to you, with the FPC pointing DOWN.. with LEFT most pin being 1...

1. VCC (RED)
2. U/D (WHITE)
3. Button (shorts to GND when clicked)
4. GND (BLACK)
5. L/R (GREEN)

You could solder the button to the CC1/CC2 solder pads and be able to use it on the CSO :)

Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

fablespirt

Post by fablespirt » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:44 am

http://store.gadgetfactory.net/micro-jo ... ing/#third
will this work as a dpad replacement?

George.p

Post by George.p » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 am

Hi, can anyone help me with some info? I'm trying to add a joystick to my gbz bu I'm stuck on programming the teensy lc. I use wermy's script. What do I have to add to the script? Thanks Ps: I'm trying to use a psp 1000 joystick

gbjack

Post by gbjack » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:46 am

I'm building a gb pocket, and for that reason I'm using the psp joystick which is smallest and lowest profile although the ps vita stick may be the best one in terms of ergonomics and precision.

Since I'm using a gaboze pocaio pcb and it uses the gpio for everything, I want to use the remaining gpio to add a mcp3008 or maybe the other adc from adafruit ADS1015 / ADS1115 for the analog stick. I have one SPI socket free (MISO, MOSI, CS, AND SCLK) and some simple GPIO left too. I've searched a lot but I can't find other solution than connect a teensy for the analog stick and combine the teensy with the gpio inputs (but not always works because retropie usually detects the gpio and teensy as two different controllers).

Is it possible to connect an analog stick to the gpio successfully and make it work with retropie? The mcp3008 works fine with some python scripts and other programs, but I didn't find anyone making it work with retropie.