How to connect via ssh over wifi to your Pi from desktop computer without attached screen, or keyboard, or even buttons

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
chaosratt

Re: How to connect via ssh over wifi to your Pi from desktop computer without attached screen, or keyboard, or even butt

Post by chaosratt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am

How do you enable SSH to start with? Out of the box its always been disabled for me on fresh images. I've always needed at least a keyboard and screen to get to raspi-config and enable it.

rodocop

Re: How to connect via ssh over wifi to your Pi from desktop computer without attached screen, or keyboard, or even butt

Post by rodocop » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am

chaosratt wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am
How do you enable SSH to start with? Out of the box its always been disabled for me on fresh images. I've always needed at least a keyboard and screen to get to raspi-config and enable it.
from the first post:

2) on the boot partition, create a file called ssh without extension, without anything inside the file

I've never actually done that, i always have a keyboard handy, but if you plug the SD card into your PC and create an SSH file, put it back in the pi, then it should work.
ssh.zip
(140 Bytes) Downloaded 438 times

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 am

Yes, Rodocop is right... you plug the sd on the PC, create the file, put back to the pi, and the ssh is being enabled... it’s a kind of magic :mrgreen:

Follow me on instagram Image

Vineheart01

Post by Vineheart01 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 pm

bit confused about the retropie.local shortcut

I just got my pie in for my 2nd GBZ and this one has wifi so first thing i did was flash it with retropie image then try to SSH into it. For some reason typing retropie.local port 22 in my putty didnt work. I looked at my router and saw it was connected so i tried direct IP and that time it worked.

I have a windows10 machine so maybe thats getting in the way?

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 pm

No, windows version won’t make a difference.
Strange behaviour.
Normally, stock image with ssh enabled, coulb be referred as retropie.local instead of IP address.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/SSH

Seems that in version 4.3, it’s now referred as retropie and no more retropie.local

Could you try please and confirm, i’ll edit my tutorial !

Thank you very much for pointing this !

Vineheart01

Post by Vineheart01 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Finally got a wifi dongle that works with a pie so i can connect to my first GBZ pie.

Yeah, the hostname works with retropie but not retropie.local

Which might be where i got the retropie flash image from and not your guide. I forget where i got this from, it was one of the guides on this site i just forget where lol

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I’ve edited the OP to relect the changes

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am

Made this thread a sticky. I find myself constantly digging around trying to find it because I come back to it so much.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 am

dryja123 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am
Made this thread a sticky. I find myself constantly digging around trying to find it because I come back to it so much.
I keep a copy of the ssh file and the wpa_supplicant file on my desktop and just put it on every SD card I format. That way it's always ready to go on first boot. :D

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm

rodocop wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 am

I keep a copy of the ssh file and the wpa_supplicant file on my desktop and just put it on every SD card I format. That way it's always ready to go on first boot. :D
And that's why you're the peoples champion! That would make things so much easier lol :lol: