[SOLVED] BW Variant 8 doesn't power up

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
WandererGen

[SOLVED] BW Variant 8 doesn't power up

Post by WandererGen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:25 pm

This novice soldering iron operator needs some more help. I've attached my BW screen to the Pi Zero and get no response upon powering on the Pi. I've already tested to make sure the Pi itself is still working via HDMI. One thing I regret not testing was whether the screen would work prior to disassembly. Is there something I need to set up on the Pi itself before it will recognize the screen? Looking at the images below, can anybody identify possible culprits for the failure?

I've tried both white and yellow wires to no avail. I've also clicked the buttons on the screen, also with no result. Also, I noticed that piece of white fluffy stuff on the BW board. It was a piece of dust that must have fallen off and is not attached to the board itself.

Any ideas I should try before I throw in the towel and spring for a GearBest screen? Thanks for the help.

WandererGen

Re: [SOLVED] BW Variant 8 doesn't power up

Post by WandererGen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 pm

My display is now working! I'm not quite sure what did it, but one thing I tried was updating via raspi-config. After that, I loaded up in Raspbian and checked my config.txt file to see if "hdmi_force_hotplug=1" was enabled. It was not. When I rebooted and unplugged the HDMI cable - VOILA! It worked like a charm. I'm not sure if this will be helpful to anyone else, other than to encourage others not to give up if the screen is at first unresponsive.