Low battery warning, no other components

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
jakejm79

Low battery warning, no other components

Post by jakejm79 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm

I've done some search but most of what I found relates to battery monitors (i.e. showing various levels).
What I am hoping to find is some way to take advantage of the LBO pinout on the 1000C and connect it to a GPIO pin, have a script monitor, when LBO drops to low have something display on the screen.

A little more background, on my next build I already have the on/charge/charged lights taken care of (well the light source from them) but:
1. The low battery LED on the 1000C is located in a harder to reach spot (i.e. on the opposite side of the PCB compared to the other LEDs)
and
2. While in my opinion the user doesn't need to be notified while playing about the charge/charging status, low battery warning is important, my other lights show along the top of the cartridge so aren't clearly visible while playing - by design not distracting. But I would like a warning front and center for lower battery.

Since the power components are in the back half of the case and you view the front half, I'd really like to avoid more circuits tying the two halves together, I was hoping for more of a software solution or at least something that consisted of just one wire.

I've done a little bit of searching, but seems the problem of LBO just dropping to low logic <0.8V rather than becoming a true ground signal causes some issues from just straight wiring to a GPIO pin.

Anybody have any suggestions?

tinkerBOY

Re: Low battery warning, no other components

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:22 am

If you are using a Pro Micro for the controllers you can use one of its analog pins or maybe use something like npn or pnp transistor.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:14 am

jakejm79 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm
SpoilerShow
I've done some search but most of what I found relates to battery monitors (i.e. showing various levels).
What I am hoping to find is some way to take advantage of the LBO pinout on the 1000C and connect it to a GPIO pin, have a script monitor, when LBO drops to low have something display on the screen.

A little more background, on my next build I already have the on/charge/charged lights taken care of (well the light source from them) but:
1. The low battery LED on the 1000C is located in a harder to reach spot (i.e. on the opposite side of the PCB compared to the other LEDs)
and
2. While in my opinion the user doesn't need to be notified while playing about the charge/charging status, low battery warning is important, my other lights show along the top of the cartridge so aren't clearly visible while playing - by design not distracting. But I would like a warning front and center for lower battery.

Since the power components are in the back half of the case and you view the front half, I'd really like to avoid more circuits tying the two halves together, I was hoping for more of a software solution or at least something that consisted of just one wire.

I've done a little bit of searching, but seems the problem of LBO just dropping to low logic <0.8V rather than becoming a true ground signal causes some issues from just straight wiring to a GPIO pin.

Anybody have any suggestions?

i've seen a powerboost used to have an on screen display before, check this thread. It's using a 500C, but 1000C will be the same as well. It seems to be what you are after.

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3665

jakejm79

Post by jakejm79 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks Rodocop, that is exactly what I am after.

I have wired it up on my most recent build and once I get some mSD card issues taken care of I will see if I can get the software side of things done.