Do I have the right parts?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
xxrob511

Re: Do I have the right parts?

Post by xxrob511 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 am

Ok I got some time to make outline of the wiring. So Im Kinda confused where would I solder the usb micro charging board, usb, and screen? Watched wermy build again and the usb board ground and 5v is taken by the pcb.
Attachments
GBCv2.1_wiring-1.jpg
GBCv2.1_wiring-1.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 4663 times

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 am

for the screen do this:

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=958

As for the micro usb port, if you are using the powerboost you will wire the bat pin to the postive pad on the micro usb, and a ground to the negative pad.

For the USB wire it to the pis test pads like this:
test padsShow
I used yellow instead of whiteShow
You can take power from anywhere, I have the test pads on the pi labelled, but I would use some of the 5V/GND points on the tinkeryBOY board instead.

xxrob511

Post by xxrob511 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am

Ok thank you . Rodocop your the real MVP. Thanks for helping me out

xxrob511

Post by xxrob511 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:35 am

So I have all my parts on thier way to me minus the raspberry pi. I never really occurred to me what kind of preformace a pi zero gets. Then I started to read about the bad preformace it gets. I was never planning to play anything 3d like n64 or ps1. I just wanted to play flat games. Anywhere from neo Geo , Mame and down. But apparently it can't even run those games smoothly? So should I go for a more powerful pi 3 instead?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 am

I'd stick with a pi zero for your first build. But it's up to you. The pi3 requires you to remove a lot of stuff to fit. Basically all the ports needs to be removed and it needs to be cut down to fit.

xxrob511

Post by xxrob511 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Well after being gone for a while I'm back :) I heard so many mixed things about the pi zero w. People saying it does not run mame or neo geo well. So I went out and bought one to see for my self. I am very impressed this little board kicks ass! It exceeding my expectations and re affirmed I want to go through with this project.

Here is the wiring diagram that I made. (Complied for the most part) Could someone actually look at it and tell me if something is wrong with it? Im going to be following this exactly the way I have it down.

Also from my understanding the power boost has LEDS on the board to show when it charging, low bat, and fully charged. I was wondering how do people hook up additional leds. This way I can visually see from the outside of the gameboy case what status of the battery is. Or is there any more convenient/easy ways to indicate battery life?

Thank You ahead of time :)
Attachments
gameboy zero wiring.jpg
gameboy zero wiring.jpg (5.76 MiB) Viewed 4440 times

MegaLoop

Post by MegaLoop » Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 am

xxrob511 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 pm
Well after being gone for a while I'm back :) I heard so many mixed things about the pi zero w. People saying it does not run mame or neo geo well. So I went out and bought one to see for my self. I am very impressed this little board kicks ass! It exceeding my expectations and re affirmed I want to go through with this project.

Here is the wiring diagram that I made. (Complied for the most part) Could someone actually look at it and tell me if something is wrong with it? Im going to be following this exactly the way I have it down.

Also from my understanding the power boost has LEDS on the board to show when it charging, low bat, and fully charged. I was wondering how do people hook up additional leds. This way I can visually see from the outside of the gameboy case what status of the battery is. Or is there any more convenient/easy ways to indicate battery life?

Thank You ahead of time :)
I can't find anything wrong. Didn't check all the GPIOs for buttons but it's a compiled image so I'm assuming that's correct. Audio looks right, power looks OK. Ground to the charge port could go to the boost, no need to go all the way to the controller board for that.

Also might want to wire the power of that external USB port to a through hole on the Pi or to the controller board if you have a spare contact, it's easier IMHO. I also wired my screen's power to my pi, made wiring a little cleaner and was able to test it without the controller board but again, my opinion.

It's good to verify your battery polarity. Although I think the power boost should have protection for that, it's not a bad idea. My battery and boost were reversed.

Not sure about adding external status LEDs for that boost. Some boosts have options for external LEDs but I don't think the Adafruit does. With a safe shutdown board you could get low battery warnings via software and have the whole safe shutdown bit. Might be easiest to locate boost somewhere you can see LEDs on the board, like a clear cartridge case.

Good luck with your build and have fun! :)

xxrob511

Post by xxrob511 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Hey man thanks for the reply! I'll switch the grounds. I'll also look into the battery polarity since you mentioned it . Got me paranoid now lol

MegaLoop

Post by MegaLoop » Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 pm

xxrob511 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 pm
Hey man thanks for the reply! I'll switch the grounds. I'll also look into the battery polarity since you mentioned it . Got me paranoid now lol
Hey no problem! Didn't mean to make you paranoid but Lipo batteries are no joke!

I did connect mine in reverse for about 2 minutes on my build first time attempting boot, no harm except the beating my heart took when I realized it. :o Protection in boost saved my butt. Just be careful if you do have to reverse the polarity on the battery connector, make sure not to short it when switching!

Always test everything with your multimeter before applying power to check for solder bridges/shorts.