Do I have the right parts?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
xxrob511

Do I have the right parts?

Post by xxrob511 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 pm

Is there anything missing?
I did look at the wiki and watched wermys videos.
I have zero experience in this kind of field. So right now I have a mix of parts from the custom game boy zero wiki and the original gameboy zero wiki. Maybe someone could link me a build tutorial with this kind of PCB I am using? I want to try to follow a build guide 1:1 I would like to experiment with options but I don't have have the knowledge on this kind of project! :lol:

Thanks in Advance

-Rob
Attachments
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (193.24 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (96.71 KiB) Viewed 5659 times

rodocop

Re: Do I have the right parts?

Post by rodocop » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 am

I recommend a pi zero W. It's the same but has built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. You can also fit a bigger battery, (you can find a perfect fit 4000 mah on ebay) I'd also get the screen from gearbest (check wiki for links) way cheaper and does not need a 5v mod.

Also, you'll need a headphone jack (only of you want one), and power switch. It's also worth looking into hoolyhoos screen bracket. It includes buttons wells and new screw posts. You can buy from him on the forums. Or have it printed yourself. Also, for should buttons you will want some type of tactile button, or have a look at the forums for erik_gee's shoulder button brackets which are also a good option.

Also, I can't tell from the photo, but make sure your kit has enough silicone button pads. If not buy some more.

Battery:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2403122570

Wiring guide for your pcb
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:41 am
updated link for the battery, as the eBay sellers are out of stock
Ah thanks for that, I didn't realize the stock was out, I just made an order last week, I must have got the last few remaining!

jakejm79

Post by jakejm79 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 am

I prefer the I2S amp and a DC socket rather than trying to get a mUSB to fit somewhere. Also you can get a 3000 mAh battery for about 1/2 the price, yes you give up a little bit of capacity but you can free it of its plastic case and it will also fit in the compartment with zero mods.

xxrob511

Post by xxrob511 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks for the replies and recommendations :D

xxrob511

Post by xxrob511 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Ok I have updated my list now. How does this look now?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hSX ... sp=sharing

^^^
word document of the list

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm

looks good to me. Maybe get an empty game cartridge too? But I would also consider skipping the teensy, and wiring the PCB directly to the pi's GPIO's (following the link I posted earlier). But it's up to you, using the teensy will eliminate the single usb port of the pi zero, so if that is okay with you go that route. I prefer to use GPIO controls, and then extend the pi's micro USB to a full size usb out the EXT port, that way you can still connect a keyboard or something if you need, plus it fills a big gap in the case. I didn't see on the list, but if you plan to use a usb hub, then it really doesn't matter, since that will give you the extra USB's.

Also, if you're already buying a bunch of stuff from Handheld legend i'd get the gameboy case from them too, then you won't have to deal with slow ebay shipping. (might cost a few dollars more I guess).

But...... alternatively, you can check out the seller gamerszone on aliexpress, they have pretty good prices, and if you use epacket shipping (select one item with epacket shipping, and then select all others in the cart set to free shipping, they will only make you pay epacket prices once, which is really nice.) it is pretty quick considering it's coming from China, you can get all the buttons, silicone pads, volume wheels, gameboy shells/cartridges, and glass if you need it (only clear ones though, no gameboy zero branded ones like HHL)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 6517Qdwh8a

xxrob511

Post by xxrob511 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Ok I will take the teensy out. I just added it because I just saw everyone else using it lol. (Like I said I am new too this whole thing.) Can you explain the Usb Port part to me again. Dumb it down? Explain it to me like im 4 lol.

"I prefer to use GPIO controls, and then extend the pi's micro USB to a full size usb out the EXT port, that way you can still connect a keyboard or something if you need, plus it fills a big gap in the case. I didn't see on the list, but if you plan to use a usb hub, then it really doesn't matter, since that will give you the extra USB's. "

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:05 pm

haha, okay, so the pi zero only has one USB port, unlike a pi3 for example, that has 4 USB ports. so when you plug something into the pi zeros single USB port, that means you can no longer plug anything else in. The teensy is a USB device, so it needs to be connected to the pi's usb. If you wire the controls to the GPIO's instead then you still have one free usb to use for an external usb. Something like this:
you can see i have a full size usb in the EXT port.Show
Like I said, having the external USB like that isn't 100% necessary, but i like it. I often adjust configs and rather than SSHing into the pi from my computer I can just plug a keyboard in and do it that way.

And if you use a USB hub, you can expand the pi's single usb to multiple and then you can plug a teensy/external usb/and a usb sound card or something, but I usually tend to skip that to make the builds a little more simple.