Newbie with questions about 1st build.

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
FlashyFrank

Newbie with questions about 1st build.

Post by FlashyFrank » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 pm

I am new to the Game Boy Zero world and I have purchased all the parts that I think I need to complete my first build. I am basing my build mostly off of Wermy's "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV-W23lONI4" but I am unable to find the "all in one" board and plan on using this board "https://www.amazon.com/Button-Gameboy-D ... B01JKJCQVM" for my buttons. So I plan on connecting the buttons up to the GPIO's but I am unsure about a few things. Do I need to adjust the code at all or will the raspberry pi automatically pick up the button presses? I got the Adafruit Mono 2.5W Class D Audio Amplifier for the audio but I am not totally sure where and how to connect it. Also I was curious about having an HDMI output as an option and I haven't seen many builds featuring this. Is that because it is complicated or would it be as simple as connecting a cable? I apologize if I am asking questions that have already been answered on here. I looked around a bit but thought I would reach out to the forum members for help. I am really excited to get started on my first build! Thanks for any help.

rodocop

Re: Newbie with questions about 1st build.

Post by rodocop » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm

So. First of All, welcome! As for the questions, gpio controls are simple, you will need to install a script though. I always follow this guide:

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

For audio here is a basic drawing I've made that allows mono audio using the adafruit amp. You will also need to add this to the config.txt
This diagram will need to be adjusted based on your headphone jack. Mine shows the original dmg jack taken from wermys guide.

dtoverlay=pwm,pin=18,func=2
SpoilerShow
For HDMI, it's Easy, you just need to adjust the pi so the HDMI port is visible. A lot of people place it out the contrast port. You may need to cut some of the battery compartment out to fit it.

One last thing. Retro gaming has stock in helders older v2 boards. Might be worth it. Even if you've bought all the other parts.

https://www.retrogamingnow.com/pro-shop ... -pcb-board

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. Ok, so I just have to connect the amplifier as shown in the image and then adjust the script in the config.txt and then I'll get audio through the gpio?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Should work that easily!

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Also I did not get the "Safe shut down", is that needed for some reason or is it just a nice extra?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Safe shutdown boards are not necessary. Just a convenience feature i would say. There are some options below for some alternatives.

You can install an easy shutdown Button like this:

https://pie.8bitjunkie.net/retropie-shu ... e-easy-way

Or pick up an ads1015 and follow this to get a safe shutdown button and a battery monitor on screen. The guide is meant for the minty pi but will work woth gbzs too (the ads1015, is equavalent to the minty battery board seen in the link)

https://github.com/HoolyHoo/Mintybatter ... /README.md

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4585

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 am

I guess I'm confused as to why I need to have an "easy shutdown". If my power switch kills the power from the battery wont the pi turn off? Is this not "safe" for some reason?

For that "easy shutdown button" could my "button" be my power switch?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm

nope, for that guide you need to use a tactile button, a simple switch will not be able to do the same, since when you switch it off it will instantly cut the power before the pi has a chance to shutdown. What I posted was just an option. You can simply shutdown the pi within emulationstation, wait for the pi to shutdown and then slide the switch to the off position (using no separate button).

Cutting power without shutting down the pi can cause SD cards to be corrupted, that it why I sometimes add a safe shutdown button. So you can just press the button, to initiate the safe shutdown of the pi. Then slide the switch off once the pi has shutdown.

Using something like cambles safe shutdown switch will essentially do the same thing, eliminating the need for the separate button, but if you don't have the safe shutdown board this is a nice alternative. But it is 100% optional.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Ok, so do I need a separate button for the safe shutdown script or could I use a combo of, let's say, pressing A, B and Select at the same time?

So basically the safe shutdown board is for people who are too 'lazy' to wait for the pi to shut down from the menu before turning off the power to the unit?

Thanks again for the quick replies and all the helpful information.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Well if you want a combo of buttons to shut down, you will need to create a script for that. Or you can try out the minty pi image, which already has the option in there, (function button + X = shutdown). You can map the function button to be any gpio, so you can have a seperate button for function, or use an existing button.

This image will work if you are using the GPIO controls, and follow the same wiring scheme as the minty pi, which is seen below, on the minty pi image in the boot directory there is a pinfile.txt which will have a number in it, 7 I believe, that is what the function button will be. If you want to change it, make it one of the buttons below, (not select, since it is the default hotkey for retropie), or wire a seperate tactile button to that GPIO:

LEFT 14 # Joypad left
RIGHT 22 # Joypad right
UP 4 # Joypad up
DOWN 5 # Joypad down
LEFTCTRL 21 # 'A' button
LEFTALT 16 # 'B' button
Z 26 # 'X' button
X 20 # 'Y' button
SPACE 15 # 'Select' button
ENTER 19 # 'Start' button
A 12 # Left shoulder button
S 6 # Right shoulder button