Tinkerboy V2.0 PCB Wiring Questions

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Serif

Tinkerboy V2.0 PCB Wiring Questions

Post by Serif » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 pm

I couldn't find much info related to the Tinkerboy V2.0 PCBs so I figured I'd ask some general questions!

So far my build is going great, but I'm running into some trouble in terms of two items "fighting" over the same soldering spots.

In this build, it looks like I should be wiring my PCB power supply to the SAME spot that I'm supposed to be wiring my power for my screen.

(The Red spot on the Pi Zero)

Should I be putting them both in the same spot, or is there another location I should be wiring my screen/PCB 5V and ground wires?

This is my first build and I am really loving this PCB, but unfortunately my electronics knowledge is limited. Any and all help appreciated!

tedmo

Re: Tinkerboy V2.0 PCB Wiring Questions

Post by tedmo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:06 am

I, too, am new to building these and ran into the same issue. This PCB has a built in power strip, so you can actually run the LCD onto the ground and 5V shown in the diagram, but, for testing purposes, you'd want to run ground to PIN6 and 5V to PIN2. The video signal is going to the correct area, and it should be wired up to both (at least it was with the screen I had).

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:07 am

Hi Serif! I have just posted a screen wiring guide at http://www.tinkerboy.xyz/screen-wiring- ... v2-1-v1-1/

Here:

Assuming the screen works on 5v power.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

Serif

Post by Serif » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks so much, Tinkerboy! I just tried it out and my screen works perfectly.

I have another question. I'm trying to hook up my external USB port, and I'm unsure of where to attach iti. I found a tutorial on how to setup a micro-USB on your website but I wasn't sure if this would be the same wiring. Again, it would use the same 5V port on the Raspberry pi, so I'm unsure of where to hook it up.

Thank you again for your help!

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm

At the right side of the headphone jack on the v2.0 board you can power your external USB port with the 5v and GND pins. Green and white wires goes to the data pins on the Pi.

Serif

Post by Serif » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm

tinkerBOY wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm
At the right side of the headphone jack on the v2.0 board you can power your external USB port with the 5v and GND pins. Green and white wires goes to the data pins on the Pi.
Thanks so much, Tinkerboy! I was hooking the USB up last night and I completely reversed the pin positioning on the external end-- oops. So I went in and fixed it today and it's working great. Hooray!

Again, thanks so much. Everything seems to be working splendidly except for my sound now. ): I got some ROMs on my GBZ, but there's no audio. I checked out your blog post on how to hook up"Stereo Audio with Single Speaker Setup," making sure to pay close attention to the soldering changes in pcb V2.0.01, but it's still quiet. I saw one of your steps was to edit the "/boot/config.txt" but I have to be honest-- I have no clue how to access this area via the GBZ and I'm worried about messing it up if I go poking around hamfisted in the configuration area.

I'm also receiving an error code which I believe is related to the sound error, but I'm posting an image just in case. It shows up in between screens when I go setup things like Wifi and Bluetooth. I'm still able to access those areas, but this just sort of pops up in between.

Sorry for the crappy quality. I only have a second to capture a pic before it goes away and the resolution isn't particularly forgiving. :P Thank you again for your help! I'll be posting pictures soon as I start wrapping this up!

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Serif

Post by Serif » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes, I used that image file. I was able to access the /boot/config.txt and these were my audio settings:

# 2 channel audio
dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4

# 1 channel audio
dtoverlay=pwm,pin=18,func=2

I did some sound tests and I still didn't have any audio. I tried deleting "1 channel audio" from the txt and then deleted "2 channel audio" instead and of course tested the exact lines listed above, but none of them worked. Should I have both settings in the config.txt or just one (one speaker-- no stereo). I have my audio wired hooked up through the PCB via tha SR+ and SR- (and the little connected pad below them), so I'm not using GPIO settings (as far as I know). I hope this is helpful.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:03 pm

Post some pictures of how you wired it inside. That should help us in troubleshooting the problem.

For the audio, if you used the image on my site then you don't have to edit anything from the config.txt as long as you connected the PWM0 and PWM1 on the v2.0 board to the correct gpio pins on the pi.