Alternative Power Supply?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Jacob99

Alternative Power Supply?

Post by Jacob99 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi, I'm quite new to electronics but have decided to have a go at making a gameboy zero. So far it has gone quite well and I surprisingly haven't broken anything :D

However I want to avoid using a lithium battery since it is my first time doing something like this and want to use something a little safer, etc, because I don't want have made a mistake with the battery since they are apparently vulnerable to setting alight.
So I've tried looking at different options, for example using a series of AA batteries to power the project instead however I am unsure on what the difference in voltage could cause because as I have said, I'm new to this but trying my best. I know that powering the project with 5V is what other people do (with a powerboost, etc) but since I am going about this a different way I'm not sure how to get the same voltage.

So can anybody help me out in what I should try? I don't wanna rush into doing something just to realise that it won't work.

rodocop

Re: Alternative Power Supply?

Post by rodocop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Honestly I would use a LiPo, they are not as dangerous as you think. Most typical Lipo's will come with small protection boards that offer overcharge and over-discharge protection. When used in conjunction with an adafruit powerboost, or the generic style powerboost (both of which has protection built in) you will not likely have any issues.

I have no experience with using AA, or 18650, or 14550 batteries, but typically the Mah's will be lower and they will not last as long, and you will likely need some sort of voltage regulator to decrease or increase the voltage to ~5V. As well as something to charge them anyway (powerboost etc...)

Jacob99

Re: Alternative Power Supply?

Post by Jacob99 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:40 am

Okay thanks alot :P
I'm gonna give it ago with the LiPo battery, thanks for replying you've made it a lot easier for me :D