buttons making game lag/freeze?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Lpoolm

Re: buttons making game lag/freeze?

Post by Lpoolm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:19 pm

dicemaster wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:25 am
==SOLVED==
The issue was cause by bad silicone pads, simply replacing my silicone pads that come in contact with the contact pads on the board fixed my issue, my games no longer freeze when pressing buttons.

Special thanks to TinkerBoy for taking his time in helping me fix this issue.

I'm still really suprised that this was the issue, it seems that the slicone pads that I was using didn't conduct properly.
I was expecting it to be a more complicated issue.
I don't think that will be my issue as I just let a game run without pressing anything and the pi freezes, I have another one to set up though so will see how that gets on.
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:42 pm

Lpoolm wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:19 pm
dicemaster wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:25 am
==SOLVED==
The issue was cause by bad silicone pads, simply replacing my silicone pads that come in contact with the contact pads on the board fixed my issue, my games no longer freeze when pressing buttons.

Special thanks to TinkerBoy for taking his time in helping me fix this issue.

I'm still really suprised that this was the issue, it seems that the slicone pads that I was using didn't conduct properly.
I was expecting it to be a more complicated issue.
I don't think that will be my issue as I just let a game run without pressing anything and the pi freezes, I have another one to set up though so will see how that gets on.
If that still doesn't resolve the issue you're having, create a new post and will try to help you from there.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

carjufi

Post by carjufi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi, I am having the exact same issue. Some buttons makes everything freeze/lag and others not, whenever I increase the volume (PWM audio) the effect gets exaggerated.

In the end, which silicone pads did you buy?? I want to test new ones because I have the same issue

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 pm

carjufi wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:43 pm
Hi, I am having the exact same issue. Some buttons makes everything freeze/lag and others not, whenever I increase the volume (PWM audio) the effect gets exaggerated.

In the end, which silicone pads did you buy?? I want to test new ones because I have the same issue
I have found the quality varies a lot from seller to seller. But handheld legend has always been good for me (retro modding as well). You can also use some super fine sand paper (like 1500+ grit) and do a few quick scrapes on the black portion. Of the pad. See if that helps.

carjufi

Post by carjufi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:14 am

rodocop wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 pm
carjufi wrote:

I have found the quality varies a lot from seller to seller. But handheld legend has always been good for me (retro modding as well). You can also use some super fine sand paper (like 1500+ grit) and do a few quick scrapes on the black portion. Of the pad. See if that helps.
Thanks very much! Anyone from the UK can recommend theirs? Just trying to avoid large shipping fees

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:03 pm

carjufi wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:14 am
rodocop wrote:
carjufi wrote:

Thanks very much! Anyone from the UK can recommend theirs? Just trying to avoid large shipping fees
I've also heard retrosix is good (UK based), never used them though.

carjufi

Post by carjufi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:16 am

rodocop wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:03 pm
carjufi wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:14 am
rodocop wrote:

I've also heard retrosix is good (UK based), never used them though.
SOLVED with the rubber pads from Retrosix (UK)!

Thanks!

kylegp

Post by kylegp » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:27 am

I've got this exact same issue however if I disconnect my audio wire from GPIO13, all my buttons work flawlessly and games run fine. Whenever I connect audio again, the issue returns.

If I also leave the physical audio connection to GPIO13 but disable audio in the config, everything runs fine again too.

I don't see how it could be the pads if everything works perfectly without audio connected. The buttons respond normally without audio.

I have also checked for shorts and there are none. All connections have been triple checked.

Any other ideas?