SNES Stutter, audio distortion

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
aiiaiiiyo

SNES Stutter, audio distortion

Post by aiiaiiiyo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 am

Just finished my gameboy zero build and I cannot really play SNES games. I tried them with different emulators, NTSC and PAL roms, different retroarch settings(like threaded video on/off), but the results are always the same. I wouldn't even call it stuttering, but a constantly low fps with distorted/crackling audio.

I would think it is somehow power related as before the build I connected my bare pi zero to the TV with just the same SD card and played the same SNES games without a hiccup, so performance wise it should handle it.

I'm using USB Audio, Powerboost 1000C and a 3.7V 2500mAh LIPO from Adafruit, Teensy and the InnoLux BW variant.
Powerboost is connected to the PowerStrip.
The Pi Zero, the USB Audio, the Screen and the USB Hub is connected to the PowerStrip.
The Teensy is getting the power from the USB Hub.
One External USB is getting the power directly from the Powerboost.

I tried it while charging and without the charger connected, same results.

Playing NES games are working perfectly fine with good audio quality. Can anyone give me some advice where should I look for a possible fix? I'm getting out of options.

I could just accept the fact it doesn't play SNES games really well, however I played them before perfectly fine on the exact same pi zero.

Killar

Re: SNES Stutter, audio distortion

Post by Killar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:51 pm

did you try another snes emulator?

aiiaiiiyo

Post by aiiaiiiyo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 am

Killar wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:51 pm
did you try another snes emulator?
yes tried with the built in emulators:
snes9x2002
snes9x2005
snes9x2010

Same results with all of them.
I uploaded a video about the issue:
https://youtu.be/_gQuPKz_pnk

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:16 am

Have you tried an overclock? Also, if you believe it is power related, how about you bypass the power module, you could solder a 5V source to the power strip directly and see how the pi functions. If it is normal, then it may be an issue with the powerboost itself, if you still see the slowdown, it could possibly be an issue with the power wiring, got any pics of the wiring? Possibly upgrade to some thicker gauge wire to power the pi?

Worst case try a new image and see what happens. One other question, is this happening with all SNES games, or is it limited to a few?

aiiaiiiyo

Post by aiiaiiiyo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 am

rodocop wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:16 am
Have you tried an overclock? Also, if you believe it is power related, how about you bypass the power module, you could solder a 5V source to the power strip directly and see how the pi functions. If it is normal, then it may be an issue with the powerboost itself, if you still see the slowdown, it could possibly be an issue with the power wiring, got any pics of the wiring? Possibly upgrade to some thicker gauge wire to power the pi?

Worst case try a new image and see what happens. One other question, is this happening with all SNES games, or is it limited to a few?

I tried just a small 100Mhz overclock, but it doesn’t make any difference for me.
All snes games are unplayable for me some more and some less.
Thank you for your suggestions. I will try to connect the mini usb directly to the power strip and desolder the power boost from the circuit. I just need to find more time for this project.

Picture attached.
Sorry for the mess, the external USB and the L/R buttons not connected on the picture.
Attachments
B1DACBC5-454E-4E79-9758-D11B13A4409A.jpeg
B1DACBC5-454E-4E79-9758-D11B13A4409A.jpeg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 3155 times