Need help to clarify over potential DS like book build

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Eraser

Need help to clarify over potential DS like book build

Post by Eraser » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 am

So I've been looking into starting a project and making a retro game console. The plan is to use a Raspberry Pi Zero and have the project contained within a book and work similar to a DS, with the exception being that it was a top screen and the buttons are where the 'button screen' would be. I'm looking to see if i could also include a small usb hub inside and connect wireless controllers there and have a available hdmi port so I can also play from a TV.

Because I have zero experience in electronics, I really want to make sure that before I make any purchases, I know that it will work when assembled (hopefully).

Now because I don't really understand how electronics work and stuff I'm having problems visualising how I would: 1) power the project 2) connect a screen 3) connecting buttons

I've looked into mintypi's, GBZs etc and when looking through forums, I feel like i'm staring at another language. It's nice having pictures but I want to really understand.

For the power supply I'm hoping to look for the cheapest method if possible. Because I want to make it compact and portable like a DS, I feel that lipo batteries are the only way of powering the pi, but they do not output enough power. So i know there's an adafruit powerboost which should work. I've seen Lipo shims and something called a tp4056 and I don't know if they could help. I did look into getting a powerbank that is something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krecoo-Portabl ... +powerbank

but again i'm not too sure. I feel like once I have a good enough understanding of what is needed then i can think about changing things.

With regards to the screen, I'm looking to use an LCD screen. But i'm not really sure what to buy. I think most screens use ribbon cables and I think they can connect directly to the Pi. Even then I think that the screen would need a powersupply and i'm not sure how that works, considering how compact some builds I've seen.

Lastly is how I do the buttons. From what i'm aware I believe they needed a shared ground or something and that you can buy the buttons and pads cheap. I was thinking that i could use perfboard to put the buttons on and stuff. But I'm unsure if that works and how to solder them.

Thanks in advance from a stranger in need