Gameboy Pi 3

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Sithlocks

Gameboy Pi 3

Post by Sithlocks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:01 pm

I have little to 0 knowledge of electronic, all i know how to do is solder pretty mediocorely. I want to make a gameboy with rpi 3 inside still keeping hdmi and usb ports functional. I want to be able to play what games i can on the go with what buttons i have built on to it, but plug it to tv via hdmi and play multiplayer games, so basically a handheld-home console. Has anyone done this? If so I would GREATLY appreciate if you inform me on how i should go on with this.

DieselDummy

Re: Gameboy Pi 3

Post by DieselDummy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:33 pm

You got to hit the search bar and scour these forums. I know that there are some here, but not sure exactly where

rodocop

Re: Gameboy Pi 3

Post by rodocop » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 pm

if you have little no no experience of electronics, and mediocre soldering I would consider something other than an Rpi3 handheld. If you plan to put it inside a gameboy case you will need some major modification to the pi3, such as desoldering all ports and GPIO's, as well as possibly trimming it down to fit.

What type of project were you thinking anyway, something in a gameboy form factor? There are some pretty nice kits out there for people with less electronics and soldering skills. You just missed out on Kite's Circuit Sword preorders, which would have been exactly what you descriped. He builds a custom board that utilizes a CM3 (same as the pi3), meant to fit an orignal gameboy shell, which also has HDMI out, and needs little soldering for it to work)....But since you missed that, and the next round won't be for 4-6 months....You could look into the Freeplay CM3, similar to what was listed above, but in the GBA form factor.

You can also consider the Gaboze Pocaio, and Gameboy Pocket FE. Both are all in one solutions for gameboy pocket shells. The Pocket FE has the option for HDMI out and a few other features that the gaboze lacks. Both are meant to be used with a pi zero.

If you want to go the DIY route, take the advise above, and search the forums, or ask around on the discord, many people have made pi3 handhelds, and it is doable, just more of a challenge when compared to a build using a pi zero. One other thing note is the recent release of the pi A+, it may be an okay option for handhelds as well...