Galaxy Gaming PCB and Others.

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
n00bi3

Galaxy Gaming PCB and Others.

Post by n00bi3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Heya Guys,

First of all, thank you very in advance :)

(PS: If this is in the wrong section of the forum, I do apologize.)

My question is, this has probably been answered a billion times but, with all the PCBs in the market now it is a bit complicated to decide on which board to buy (Thank you so much to all you guys to make this doable and accessible for the mere mortals).
In my case, it all depends on the shipping time and added amount. TinkerBoys boards seem awesome and I've read on several forums how easy it is to build using your boards! But the added time and shipping for me is complicated. My job requires me to travel a little bit, so I am hardly at home. My constant trips to the UK are good because I can get some nice stuff there for a fair price. I "stumbled" upon the Galaxy Gaming Boards. Correct me if am wrong, but for the ABXY +Dpad, I should just solder them to the PCB and then to the PI0. Shoulder Buttons to the PI0 itself, (or on a Teensy) but soldering one of the legs of each tactile buttons (I like the clicky noise) to a ground and then to the PI GPIOs and another cable on another leg to make it "active" and then to the GPIO. But I have seen those other boards from eBay, that seem duplicates from the original ones, probably copies from the author. (Are they still good, or just cheap Rip-offs?)

But what about the sound and Power?
I have bought from Aliexpress (Wanna keep it low cost for the first build and the fly a little bit higher)
- PAM8302 Amp from Aliexpress
- 3.7V Li-ion Battery Mini USB to USB A Power Apply Module 5V 1A Charge Module
- 3.7V 3000mAh High Capacity 357095 Rechargeable Li-Polymer Li-ion Battery
- 5 Pcs 0.5W 8 Ohm 28mm Dia Mini Metal
- 20 PCB Mount Momentary Tactile Switch with Caps
- 100pcs/lot F3 3MM Round Green Yellow Blue White Red Orange LED Light COMPONENT Diode DIY kit Purple Pink Jade green warm white (I only got 5 of each color)
- 10 Pcs B103 16x2mm 10K Ohm Double Dial Taper Volume Wheel Duplex Potentiometer
- a Gameboy DMG Shell with the Pads.
- Haven't decided on the Screen yet (Suggestions are more than welcome)

Should I follow the Adrafruits wiring diagram as a guideline

Code: Select all

https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/29805
(All CREDITS TO ADAFRUIT TEAM) or can you advise on something better?
I have check a lot of builds on the last couple of weeks, but I wanted to test myself a little bit and not buying a AIO board. I would like to have some fun and try not to blow something up on the process :D :D

PS: If by the time I finish this build, I still have one too many extra parts, and if you guys do not live very far, I would send it to you. It is not much, but a least you do not have to wait 5 weeks to arrive from China or somewhere else.

Treat others how you would like to be treated :)

Once Again,

Thank you very much guys!

correia5022

Re: Galaxy Gaming PCB and Others.

Post by correia5022 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm

n00bi3 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:08 pm
I should just solder them to the PCB and then to the PI0. Shoulder Buttons to the PI0 itself, (or on a Teensy) but soldering one of the legs of each tactile buttons (I like the clicky noise) to a ground and then to the PI GPIOs and another cable on another leg to make it "active" and then to the GPIO. But I have seen those other boards from eBay, that seem duplicates from the original ones, probably copies from the author. (Are they still good, or just cheap Rip-offs?)
Hi. Yes, just solder directly to gpio's or if you'r gonna use a teensy/leonardo pro micro (cheaper alternative to teensy). And yes, the boards you find over ebay are clones of the original. I think the original plans were delivered free to public, so anyone could do whatever they want with them. (which actually resulted in more complex pcb's)
n00bi3 wrote:
But what about the sound and Power?
I'm at that point in my build, check it out.
No, adafruit build is around a powerboost, and you do not have one. Also they use a pi2(?) which has audio out, pi0 doesnt.
You'll have to use usb soundcard or pwm sound with lowpass filter
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:18 am

power for the pi should go to the pi's power pads, under the usb power input, but you can also power it at the 5v pin (although that bypasses some of the safeguards you get from using the pads). if you use the teensy, then all the buttons "control" wires go to that, and then that is programmed as a usb keyboard to plug into the pi. if you go right to the gpio then you use retrogame or something like that to map the inputs from the gpio pins as key presses.

for the sound, if you have the ability, use a usb sound card, but you'd need a hub to do that if you are using the teensy (or if you want to have an available usb) since the zero only supports one usb device. otherwise, you can hook up to the pwm0 and/or pwm1 (if you want stereo) then you can re-map its function to the alternate in the config.txt. those are pins 18 (pwm0) and 13 (pwm1) but there are others that have the alts available too. its very noisy if you don't wire up a little low-pass filter though (which can be a bit tricky to fit in the build).

if you do something like tinkerboy's board, you just need to connect the pi to that at the usb and power, and you get sound, usb hub, buttons mapped to a teensy-like controller, and spots to connect the rear buttons too.

one thing to note about your power supply, that took me a few mistakes to realize - some of those aliexpress ones are just for charging a battery and some are for boosting to 5v, but they all don't do both. what's nice about the adafruit 1000c or helder's psu is that is does both (and helder's also adds in other stuff like a controller for joysticks or other stuff)
Last edited by infinitLoop on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 am

n00bi3 wrote:
- Haven't decided on the Screen yet (Suggestions are more than welcome)
if you are going for cheap, foremost, then the backup camera on amazon is probably the best bet. i've picked that up at $11 and $16 but it's a gamble as to which one you get (i have gotten two different models in three orders). quality on those is also the worst, as a couple of mine have had burnt pixels, but they work, and are good for "learner" ones.

the gearbest one that everyone likes is consistent, but took a while to get, and runs at $20.

there are other options on aliexpress that i haven't tried personally, if you want to hook up the screen with hdmi or using the dsi port, and you might be able to get those for around 15 but that means that you can't hook up an external hdmi, which i have been including in all my builds.

oh, and if it's not evident - the gearbest and bw ones use the composite pin out, so they aren't super clear and you can't read most text. it's just a super small analog tv. if you use the digital signal from hdmi or dsi, then you can have a screen with clearer text and graphics (but you can't add a second digital option)

uttenda

Galaxy Gaming PCB and Others

Post by uttenda » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:46 am

Hi, i have to reinstall windows and i dont want to loose the cheats i have added How to backup the users added cheats?