Hello USB audio problem with tinkerboy 3.0

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
SageALL

Hello USB audio problem with tinkerboy 3.0

Post by SageALL » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:29 am

Hey everybody I am new here and i gotta say this gameboy zero problem has been given me a heck of a lot of problems. Before I tell you what is killing me I am going to tell you the problems I have gotten over at this point. SKIP TO PROBLEM IF YOU ARE VETERAN

FIRST: the screen if anybody new read this becareful with the ribbon cable of the screen IT IS DELICATE AS HELL. two screens down am on the third.
SECOND:Soldering is a bitch be careful there I have made countess errors when soldering anything you solder wrong will give you problems period. even when it looks right it might not. Always use solder wick and fauz when cleaning. I resoldered a connections twice after I thought and it looked clean but solder wick did the trick.
THIRD: if you are new like me and dont know anything about electronics read about everything you want to do in advance one minor change can be a real headache. I thought I could just use the same PSU from the zero on a pi 3 and boom. Shit is not powerful enought and on top ruined my Pi 3+ and my Pi 3A+. I used the bangood power supply because it said it does 2.5 amp well mines fucked everything up. I think one of the guys here sells one that work for all pi the adafuit 1000c is not enought. Also i been reading about step up converters but they are hard to find and big... i purchased one that took the lighting screen off the pi and it seemed to work but i didnt test it long enough and every now and then the lighting bolt comes on so not sure if i trusted. plus is too damn big to fit a pi 3, the step up converter and everything else. might fit i will try in my next built and let all know how it goes. if any veteran read this gimmie your thoughts on this ? i have a bunch of spare parts to make a new gbz.
THIRD:if your game pads are hard to press buttons have to be pressed hard, do the old nintendo trick and scratch the surface of the pads on the board just a little to make it more sensitive, worked for me.

FINALLY THE BIG PROBLEM
usb audio is driving me insane. usb audio on my tinkerboard3.0 does not work this is what i have done so far
resoldered everything twice after throughly cleaning the board and nothing.
reflash drive, use clean install, use pre built image use differen sd cards different Pis. nothing.
everything works except the audio. so i know the board is getting power and the usb is working
lsusb command recognices c media and usb audio
command only shows 1 usb_audio device on pre built image so it reads it.
when clean install reads 0 for original audio and 1 for usb audio like normal (rearranged it throught 3 different tutorials) including the one here and nothing

please can anybody help me thanks
Attachments
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg (738.43 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg (740 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg (756.2 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
Last edited by SageALL on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

correia5022

Re: Hello USB problem with tinkerboy 3.0

Post by correia5022 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

SageALL wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:29 am

lsusb command recognices c media and usb audio
command only shows 1 usb_audio device on pre built image so it reads it.
So, if the usb card is detected, there's only one place where could be wrong: the config files you changed.
Search for usb audio in the forum, there is a post (i think from helder?) but i am not finding it right now..
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

SageALL

Re: Hello USB problem with tinkerboy 3.0

Post by SageALL » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

hey thats what i thought but i have followed a few tutorials on USB audio set ups and nothing work, everytime starting with a fresh image, i followed this viewtopic.php?t=144 and the one on tinkerboy website and two other ones from google and i start with a fresh image everytime, i test the speaker and the headphone jack nothing everytime. I test it the board with a continuity test but and i think its fine but i dont know if i test it the right spots. i think the testing is not right, it reads in the thousands as opossed to close to 0 like normal continuity between the speaker and usb sound chip, or what i think is the sound chip anyway
Attachments
InkedIMG_0014_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_0014_LI.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 7533 times

tinkerBOY

Re: Hello USB audio problem with tinkerboy 3.0

Post by tinkerBOY » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:39 pm

New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

SageALL

Post by SageALL » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:05 pm

well i think i can rule out a software issue as i have tried everything possible software configuration and it does read the usb drive on ES, i think it might be either a soldering issue as i have read this is the most common cause for this, or i fucked up one of the resistors or something on the board while i was soldering since i SUCK at soldering (first timer)... anyway am gonna try to clean everything as much as possiblem and load up a picture with continuity results from audio chip on the board... maybe one of yall can tell me where i messed up. i was doing a lot of gluing and i think that had something to do with something, maybe glue is making more resistance between components i dont know... I just wanna start playing :(

SageALL

Post by SageALL » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:39 pm

ok cleaned board here are the pics, just wanted to say tinkerboy has been helping me throught email, and is providing excellent customer service if anybody cares thanks tinkerboy, i test it while it was on ???? prolly fucked up there let me know
Attachments
InkedIMG_0031_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_0031_LI.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 7503 times
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg (573.82 KiB) Viewed 7503 times
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg (426.53 KiB) Viewed 7503 times

SageALL

Post by SageALL » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 am

Hello back for another update. so i gave up on the tinkerboy GBZ project issue i figured i had fried the board from so many resoldering trying to fix the issue. anyway i ordered an aio from glitched gaming and started fresh. everything new and redid everything. gain a lot of experience from my first so in this build i didnt make a single error whicn one pretty sweet. anyway here it comes SAME ISSUE NO AUDIO, jesus christ i dont know what to do anymore these boards used different audio configurations one is USB the other is i2s audio. i seriously dont have a clue what am doing wrong. the plus side is well the tinkerboard probably still works i just need to find the issue why the audio is not working. i will be taking detailed pictures of both build layout each component piece name and specs along with software installations and such you guys are my only hope :(

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:57 pm

is it the aio with the i2s? so, there are 3 gpio audio connections (21, 18, and 19)? if so, then you just make sure and connect those, enable i2s in raspi-config, and then you need to run this:

Code: Select all

curl -sS https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-PiInstaller-Scripts/master/i2samp.sh | bash
adafruit guide is here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-max ... y-pi-usage

worked for me following that

SageALL

Post by SageALL » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:42 pm

ok so here are the pics, i have run the script from the internet but nothing happens, i manually did the whole thing but now the pi crashes right after the emulations station loads up. im at a lost have been trying everything and nothing seems to work :(
Attachments
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 7370 times
IMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 7370 times
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 7370 times
IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 7370 times
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 7370 times

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:15 am

SageALL wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:42 pm
ok so here are the pics, i have run the script from the internet but nothing happens, i manually did the whole thing but now the pi crashes right after the emulations station loads up. im at a lost have been trying everything and nothing seems to work :(
well, first i would try disconnecting the speaker and see if you can just get sound just from the headphone jack.

are you getting errors reported after the crash? what other software have you loaded? what retropie version are you trying?

what happens when you run the script? does it go through the install? did you select to enable the option it asks you (you should not)?

i don't notice any obvious issues from the pictures, except that the solder on 18 looks like it might not be making a good connection. the things that i've seen go wrong with the i2s sound is that it is disabled in the "interfaces" in raspi-config ( / the config.txt file), or that the gpio pads are going to the wrong pins (or just do not have a good connection). or that the script failed.

the connections on the potentiometer always seem to screw with me too - make sure you have good connectivity and that nothing is bridged (you can always just ditch that and use digital volume - it's kind of useless actually, it only works at the top 25% - but you need to bridge the in/out if you do that)

btw - you can test the sound from the command line with "speaker-test" - it should just send white noise to the soundcard.