Need some advice about audio (...and maybe general build advice.) Help save our build!

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
rodocop

Re: Need some advice about audio (...and maybe general build advice.) Help save our build!

Post by rodocop » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Yeah, USB sound card= pcm2704.

As for the hub. If you want an external USB you'll need the hub. Since the pi zero only has one USB which will be taken by the sound card.

Most programming can be done wirelessly, so having an external USB isn't 100% necessary.

BowmarDafty

Re: Need some advice about audio (...and maybe general build advice.) Help save our build!

Post by BowmarDafty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 am

rodocop wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:40 pm
Yeah, USB sound card= pcm2704.

As for the hub. If you want an external USB you'll need the hub. Since the pi zero only has one USB which will be taken by the sound card.

Most programming can be done wirelessly, so having an external USB isn't 100% necessary.
Great.

I'm assuming that we need to remove the little headphone jack from that USB card then? Or are we fine just wiring into the solderpoint from above or something?

Being as we are going to try and connect a battery up to this rig - I'm assuming we'll need the USB board, right? (To be honest, out battery questions are probably worth another thread...)

You've been awesome by the way! Thanks.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am

What do you mean by USB board? The hub? A hub is not necessary for the battery...but I noticed on your list on the first post you did not have a power boost module. You'll need an adafruit 1000C or a generic power board from china. Like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-Li ... 23789.html

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am

Oh, and yeah. You'll need to remove the little headphone jack off the sound card too.

BowmarDafty

Post by BowmarDafty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:52 am

rodocop wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am
What do you mean by USB board? The hub? A hub is not necessary for the battery...but I noticed on your list on the first post you did not have a power boost module. You'll need an adafruit 1000C or a generic power board from china. Like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-Li ... 23789.html
Ah, you're right! I did leave that off of the original list but we do have one.

And yes, I did mean USB hub instead of board.

If we were working without the battery I assume we'd just be using the power input on the Pi Zero itself then?

And we've been wondering what the USB hub would have been for but we have seen it in so many other builds. Would the hub largely be used for inputs for coding then?

Apologies for so many questions. We've not had someone outside our group to bounce questions off of like this for quite some time! haha

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Like I mentioned before. Adding the USB hub is only necessary if you want some extra USB ports. Could be used for a keyboard etc...

In the past, before the pi zero w, the regular pi zero did not have wifi or bluetooth, so a lot of people added a hub, so they could connect a usb wifi dongle, along with controls, or audio, or external USB. Depending on the build.

Since you are using gpio controls that will not need usb, and the pi zero w with built in wifi does not need an external USB wifi card. The only thing in you build that needs USB is the sound card.

The only reason I would add a hub, is if you think it's necessary to have an external USB port. I would only add the hub if you think you'll need the spare USB ports. Up to you.

BowmarDafty

Post by BowmarDafty » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:45 am

rodocop wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 am
This is how I would wire it. See below:
SpoilerShow
Untitled.jpg
Try it out, see how it works, this will vary based on the headphone jack you are using, but you can see the pinouts of the commons ones used (viewtopic.php?t=701). Also, your USB sound card may vary. regardless, it will have an L out, R out, and ground somewhere.
We're struggling to find out what pinouts on the RaspPi Zero that we should use when connecting the USB end of the pcm2704 to the Pi itself? There are 4 cables needed (Ground, 5v, D+ and D-) but where do those end up on the Pi?

Thanks again!

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 am

BowmarDafty wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:45 am
rodocop wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 am
This is how I would wire it. See below:
SpoilerShow
Untitled.jpg
Try it out, see how it works, this will vary based on the headphone jack you are using, but you can see the pinouts of the commons ones used (viewtopic.php?t=701). Also, your USB sound card may vary. regardless, it will have an L out, R out, and ground somewhere.
We're struggling to find out what pinouts on the RaspPi Zero that we should use when connecting the USB end of the pcm2704 to the Pi itself? There are 4 cables needed (Ground, 5v, D+ and D-) but where do those end up on the Pi?

Thanks again!
D+ and - are the "Data" in and out for usb. you need to connect them to the usb pads, or use a hub. the 5v and ground go to your power (or to any 5v and ground on the pi).

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:14 am

These are the data pads and power pads on the pi, you can wire the data pads to D+ and D-. I would wire the power and ground to the card from your power supply, not the pi itself.
PiZeroConnections_large.jpg
PiZeroConnections_large.jpg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

BowmarDafty

Post by BowmarDafty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:41 am

rodocop wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:14 am
These are the data pads and power pads on the pi, you can wire the data pads to D+ and D-. I would wire the power and ground to the card from your power supply, not the pi itself.

PiZeroConnections_large.jpg
We've decided to go with getting audio direct from the Pi now. We managed to damage our sound card and are throwing caution to the wind and risking the noisy connection for the sake of finishing this project! haha

We've found this post about audio from the Pi itself -> https://learn.adafruit.com/adding-basic ... -pwm-audio

And were wondering if we also needed to use our ground coming from the volume wheel?

Our audio currently looks like this -

Speaker to PAM8302a -- PAM8302a to Headphone jack -- heaphone jack to volume wheel -- and the voulme wheel has 3 unconnected wires for L and R in and a ground.

As we understand it... we should connect the L and R in to GPIO #18 and #19 respectively and connect the ground to whatever is convienient? (Probably #20 as its nearby?)

Does this check out?