Help locating hand drill parts and sufficient wiring?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Jacob99

Help locating hand drill parts and sufficient wiring?

Post by Jacob99 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 am

I have tried starting my GBZ build and most of my components seem to be working great so far however I have not been able to fully fit these parts in the case because the wiring I ordered is way too thick and rigid and it is causing things to take up a lot more room in the case and it is a big issue. Also I haven't been able to fully modify my case because I am unable to identify what drill heads are used and a sufficient hand drill. I am new to these sort of things so I've never bought anything like this in the past so I'm finding it hard to know for sure what would work. I live in the UK so if anybody is able to link me the sort of wiring and drill parts Wermy uses in his videos that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

infinitLoop

Re: Help locating hand drill parts and sufficient wiring?

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 am

Jacob99 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 am
I have tried starting my GBZ build and most of my components seem to be working great so far however I have not been able to fully fit these parts in the case because the wiring I ordered is way too thick and rigid and it is causing things to take up a lot more room in the case and it is a big issue. Also I haven't been able to fully modify my case because I am unable to identify what drill heads are used and a sufficient hand drill. I am new to these sort of things so I've never bought anything like this in the past so I'm finding it hard to know for sure what would work. I live in the UK so if anybody is able to link me the sort of wiring and drill parts Wermy uses in his videos that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
the step-up drill bit is the best thing to use for cutting out the button holes. there's this one in the market, on handheldlegend: http://market.sudomod.com/step-drill-bi ... ole-drill/ but you can find them all over the place.

the best wiring options imo are silicon-coated wires, and if you use 30 awg for most of the connections, it will be a lot easier to get it to fit. i bought this pack, and it's worked out very well for me so far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G7R9BVJ i used it for my gameboy color builds, and managed to cram it all in there without too much pain

for power you should bump it up to 24 awg, or anything that might be needing higher current, but stick with silicon-coated ones, which is so much easier than other options, to get to work in tight places (and you won't break connections as much as you do with stiffer wires too).

for other case mods, look for "dremel" hand tools (but you don't need to buy that brand necessarily). there are various disc cutting options and sanding bits that you can use for that. a good option is just a pack that has a bunch of sizes and types.

Dawilson123

Re: Help locating hand drill parts and sufficient wiring?

Post by Dawilson123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:11 am

Adding my 2C, if you're soldering, buy an adjustable temperature soldering iron, a cradle, good quality 63/37 solder and no clean flux.

Also have a wet sponge nearby to clean the tip of the iron with.

Apply the flux on the board before soldering and it'll help get a good joint.