Where the F#*k do i start?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
tinkerBOY

Re: Where the F#*k do i start?

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:01 am

Michael8t1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:56 am
Is there any set up where more than 6 buttons are needed?
I think games from Sega Genesis and Arcade/mame.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:09 am

Michael8t1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:47 am
infinitLoop wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm
for n64 and many arcade games, you'll want more than a pi zero then. the circuit sword kit using the cm3 board is the easiest in-road for that, but you have to wait on the pre-order/fulfillment cycle, so that will be many months before you can build it, unless you can find someone to sell you theirs. a quicker approach, parts-wise, is to try and do a pi 3a+ based build, but that is at least one or two steps above a beginner build, because you'll have to source the parts and do a lot more modifications to the components. it's definitely doable though. many people are sticking 3a+s in all sorts of shells.

rear buttons are used for the shoulder buttons on gba, snes, psx and n64, and you will probably need trigger ones for psx and n64 too. the analog joystick is really only used on n64 (and there isn't much use in doing two, imho).
Thanks for that info. Im keen to give anything a crack so bring it on i say. So some more noob questions for you all. If i have:
  • Pi3a+
    Tinkerboy v3 controller
    Powerboost
    DPI adapter
    3.5in display
    Speaker
    DMG case
    Analogue stick
    Battery
What else do i need? My understanding is the the Tinkerboy v3 controller, includes the audio amp, and headphone jack.

Is the volume wheel and USB add on board worthwhile. Seems like a neat way to add those items.

Thanks again.

Yeah, like tinkerboy said, his (or helder’s) power boost is better for pi3 builds but that’s pretty much everything. Other optional stuff on top of what you list would be safe shutdown (tinkerboy’s new board does that too apparently) and a fan since the 3a+ can get hot.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:06 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:03 am
Michael8t1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:56 am
Is there any set up where more than 6 buttons are needed?
Not really...

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... -emulators

Oh yeah I was thinking just 6-button not more than. haha..
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

Michael8t1

Post by Michael8t1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Ok Folks it has taken some time but i have collected the bulk of what i need to start this build. I need the following still and would like some advice please.
*Glass screen protector: Any advice here as i have seen a few different ones online and wasnt sure if one is better than the other.
*Battery: After looking at other peoples builds i see that 4000MAH batteries are common, but what dimensions? Or are they all the same?
*3d Printed Bits: I have seen a number of you use the printed bits as guides for screens and buttons etc. Is there any recommendation on the best place to buy these? I hve googled some of the bits i need ( screen holder including the 2 extra buttons) but i have purchased Tinkerboys 6 button controlled, so i need a 6 button guide. Is there one people use? What other bits will i need?

Speaking of this 6 front button configuration.. it seems that most opt for the rear buttons, why is this? Is the 6 button config useful? Now that i have the controller already, can i use Tinkerboys V3 as a 4 front and 2 rear button configuration?

Thank you

Michael8t1

Post by Michael8t1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:52 pm

Anyone?

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:21 pm

If you have the files for the 3d printed parts, I've had some made by voodoo mfg. I've had pretty good luck with them so far.
You can use this link and get $10 in free printing. https://voodoomfg.com/ref?r_code=RRU54

MrErickson

Post by MrErickson » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 am

Michael8t1 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:52 pm
Anyone?
I've used screen covers from a few sites, the only real differences I found is some come with the adhesive already on others dont. I haven't had any issues with scratched or cracks but mine also are not bouncing around a school bag or other rougher use settings. If this is a concern Retromodding.com has some nice neoprene covers for all sizes of gameboys.

Battery wise Helder has a great battery that fits perfectly, I've used several 3500mah batteries for my boys due to getting a deal on them, they measure 55x47x10mm if I remember right and I've got a 4000mah that is 55x50x12mm. If you trim out and smooth the battery compartment you can get a little extra space. I typically put a small piece of foam on the cover door just to keep the battery from rattling around.