Need help reading Gameboy pocket button portion of pcb

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
ghost08

Need help reading Gameboy pocket button portion of pcb

Post by ghost08 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:08 am

Hey I'm new to electronics, but I'm building a Gameboy pocket pi right now and need some help. I'll be using the lower portion of a pocket PCB for my controller but am having trouble figuring out how to read the layout. I'll be using a teensy for the controller. I need to know which lines to solder wires to for the buttons and which ones are the grounds. I've been following this guide http://www.xodustech.com/projects/raspb ... boy-pocket but was just hoping someone could explain to me what's get soldered where and why. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
5088bc9.jpg
5088bc9.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2934 times

rodocop

Re: Need help reading Gameboy pocket button portion of pcb

Post by rodocop » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:17 pm

My suggestion is to not bother with the original PCB.

But if you want to wire it you'll just need a multimeter and find some vias or test pads which connect to the button contacts points.

Hard to say what's what, as it's hard to see the traces in the picture.

Alternatively you could just go here and grab the Gerber files and go somewhere like jlcpcb or oshpark and get the custom boards made up. Much easier. (I've just linked the button /audio board, but there are other variants too)

https://github.com/Gaboze-Pocaio/Round- ... udio-board

Also note you can skip the teensy if you like and wire buttons directly to the pis gpio pins and use adafruits retrogame utility. (That was you don't need to use up a usb port for the teensy.) But using a teensy is fine too.

ghost08

Post by ghost08 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:57 am

Thanks for your response Rodocop! I just scratched off some of the PCB to reveal the copper and used the multimeter. I can see now how the traces are laid out, thanks for the advice. I think my next project I'll go with a premade board. And I'm also going to look into returning my teensy and wiring directly to the pi, one less piece of hardware. Thanks again!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:18 pm

ghost08 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:57 am
Thanks for your response Rodocop! I just scratched off some of the PCB to reveal the copper and used the multimeter. I can see now how the traces are laid out, thanks for the advice. I think my next project I'll go with a premade board. And I'm also going to look into returning my teensy and wiring directly to the pi, one less piece of hardware. Thanks again!
Back :

Front:
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.