Circuit Sword questions regarding new 640 screen, 3d printed parts and "mode" button

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
riddleza

Circuit Sword questions regarding new 640 screen, 3d printed parts and "mode" button

Post by riddleza » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi there. New to the forum and just preordered a circuit sword from Kite. I've made myself a mame cabinet, but this is my first foray into emulation on the go and I'm researching what I can and gathering materials. I have my first questions (of many more to come, for sure).

1. I've watched some videos of Game Boy Zero builds using the circuit sword that have mentioned that the "mode" button connected to the power switch module is too short and doesnt protrude out of the shell. An aftermarket button is required. Is this still an issue? If so, where do I source the part and what do I search for?

2. All of the builds took advantage of 3d parts to solidify their builds. Is anyone making and selling the whole pack or recommended parts? I have an email in to Eltoozero who may be my best hope. It is my understanding that Hoolyhoo makes and sells some but not all of the parts. Are people commonly printing the files themselves or having a company print the files and ship them? I dont have a printer. If getting them printed is my best bet, who are people using? In in the US.

3. When ordering the circuit sword I added on the 640 resolution screen. I was under the impression a screen was an addon. Afyer purchasing I saw that a lower standard resolution screen is included in the price of the circuit sword. I dont mind keeping the order as is if it is worth the upgrade. However if the higher res screen will make the unit run slower, hotter or for a significantly shorter length of time, I may reach out to kite to cancel the screen. With knowledge or experience with this screen? I plan on running 16 bit and below games.

I ask a lot of questions! Please be patient with me! Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

kite

Re: Circuit Sword questions regarding new 640 screen, 3d printed parts and "mode" button

Post by kite » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:28 am

Hey, I'll answer 1 & 3 as I know those! :)

1. No longer an issue, the one included is the right length such that it pokes out enough to press easily

3. It is in addition to the included one, this is so that you can set it up with the 320x240 to make sure everything is working as expected (proving all hardware is good) and then just adjust the config to enable the 640x480 (it's all on the wiki https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sword/wiki). Users have reported much better colours and viewing angles with the 640x480. It also makes any 'scaling' of lower resolution apps much clearer.

It will probably use a SLIGHT bit more power compared to the 320x240, but not by much. Everything else should be identical as the rendered resolution for everything doesn't really change (probably some apps do, but 640x480 is not taxing on it). SO should all be good :) if you want to cancel, just send me an email it's no problem
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

gambino37

Re: Circuit Sword questions regarding new 640 screen, 3d printed parts and "mode" button

Post by gambino37 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:08 am

I can help you out with the 3d printed parts. No problems there. I also do case mods for the circuit sword. Check out my build guide https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7944

riddleza

Post by riddleza » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 am

Kite, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear everything is cleared up and based on your reply I'll keep the 640 screen. Also good news that it's an addon, not a replacement so I'll have a spare.

Gambino, great to hear. I appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research and digging around. When I'm ready for printed parts just send you an email?

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:36 am

riddleza wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 am
Kite, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear everything is cleared up and based on your reply I'll keep the 640 screen. Also good news that it's an addon, not a replacement so I'll have a spare.

Gambino, great to hear. I appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research and digging around. When I'm ready for printed parts just send you an email?
Sure. Sounds like a plan to me.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:31 pm

I believe Wermy is working on some 3D printed parts for the shield right now per his latest video.