Powerboost possible alternatives?

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Whity458

Powerboost possible alternatives?

Post by Whity458 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 am

I'm new to this craze and I've been watching loads of build videos etc. One of the boards I see used the most is the adafruit powerboost 1000c which also has a higher price to it.
I've seen a couple of other posts asking for alternatives but from almost a year back but having a fresh look around I wonder if anyone has any advice on the 2 links below?

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZNRzuANN?fromSns=

And
http://s.aliexpress.com/BjmYJzqU?fromSns=

silentjames

Re: Powerboost possible alternatives?

Post by silentjames » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:12 am

As far as I know, the first board doesn't allow you to play and charge at the same time.
About second one - I was going to buy and test it, but ordered this: - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-Li ... 23789.html
Looks like bangood charger that was used multiple times here on the forum, and it still works :)

Whity458

Post by Whity458 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 am

Cool I'll order some of those. Thanks

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 am

If you don't see a capacitor on the output like the last one there by silentjames then you can't really charge and play and if you disconnect the charge cable there will be a power dip that will restart your pi. I have a custom powerboost board and this was one of the problems I saw while testing it, so always look for a capacitor on the output aka the normal size usb socket.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Beautjes

Post by Beautjes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 am

Helder wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 am
If you don't see a capacitor on the output like the last one there by silentjames then you can't really charge and play and if you disconnect the charge cable there will be a power dip that will restart your pi. I have a custom powerboost board and this was one of the problems I saw while testing it, so always look for a capacitor on the output aka the normal size usb socket.
Hi Helder,

I have one of these boards and indeed it won't charge and play. My question is: can I add a capacitor for it to work? And if so, what kind of capacitor?

Friendly regards Beautje