Soldering problems

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
RealLifeYoda

Soldering problems

Post by RealLifeYoda » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:17 am

Hi,
I've been trying to learn how to solder through hole components for a while without success. I use a temp-controlled soldering station at about 400 celsius and I have no problems with cleaning the tip. I do however have some problems with soldering. I practiced with resistors on an experimental circuit board. I tried two different lead free-solders(1mm and 0.35 mm), and I use a fan and have an open window with a lot of cool air comin in close by. Btw I watched a lot of how to:s on yt, but nothing has helped so far.

I tried soldering without directly touching the solder with the tip, but it took way too long. Then I tried to fix that by first applying a bit of solder to the tip and then using that bit of solder to heat the rest of the solder and component leg and circuit board. But when I try this the solder melts up into a blob on itself instead of sticking to my tip(I'll send pic of this:
Solderball.jpg
Solderball.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 4926 times
), any ideas why?

I also tried soldering with direct contact between the tip and solder, but this only works 1/4 of the time with the solder either creating a blob again on itself or hardening way to fast. Any ideas on why this may be and how to solve it? My solder already has flux in it but do I need to buy extra flux?