GBA buttons

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Merlin04

GBA buttons

Post by Merlin04 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:08 pm

I am making a GBZ, but in a GBA shell. I need help with the buttons. I plan to add the x and y buttons here:
gbabuttons.jpg
gbabuttons.jpg (370.26 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
However, I can't figure out how to get the buttons wired up to the Teensy. I believe that a custom PCB would be the best way, but I don't know how to make one. (The best I can do is PCBs in Fritzing) I can't chop up the GBA pcb because it is packed full of components, and it is double-sided.

If anyone has any suggestions or wants to make a PCB for this, please respond.
I haven't been active for a while. I periodically check the forum and blog for interesting projects, but don't post very much.

ABH

Re: GBA buttons

Post by ABH » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:58 pm

Brett82

Post by Brett82 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:21 pm

I would suggest doing as I did and use the 2 halves of the original pcb I added the x any under the shoulder buttons with tact switches you get used to it after half hour or so. And I would wire your buttons to the pi zero gpio and skip the teensy to save on space.

Merlin04

Post by Merlin04 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:13 am

Brett82 wrote:I would suggest doing as I did and use the 2 halves of the original pcb
I doubt I could desolder all of those surface mount parts. And, even though the ebay description said it was broken, I think I might have gotten a working Game Boy Advance. (I can't test it because I don't have a cartridge)
Brett82 wrote:I added the x any under the shoulder buttons with tact switches you get used to it after half hour or so
I think that would interfere with my plans for where to put USB ports.
Brett82 wrote:And I would wire your buttons to the pi zero gpio and skip the teensy to save on space.
That is a good idea. I will do that.
I haven't been active for a while. I periodically check the forum and blog for interesting projects, but don't post very much.