Possible cheap screen for GBZ

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Mattyp

Possible cheap screen for GBZ

Post by Mattyp » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:15 am

Has anyone tried using a digital photo frame as the screen? Just curious because you can get these badboys for like 10$
http://www.digiframe.com.au/3.5-fun-and ... green.html
and i was thinking it might be a cheap way to go about it... Especially not needing the touch screen features for the GBZ build

RetroRocket

Re: Possible cheap screen for GBZ

Post by RetroRocket » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 am

I thought about this before, picking up and dissembling a few from Goodwill for a couple bucks each in various sizes. From my limited experience, I couldn't find a simple or cheap solution to getting standard input. The display driver board is intrinsically connected to the slideshow program, with the only input being the various memory cards that can load images. You might be able to find a secondary driver board online for the (probably) Innolux display, but those boards are more expensive than just getting a new screen off eBay.

I'm currently looking into hacking an old GPS unit for its screen, but no progress yet...may have similarly disappointing results.

They're a bit bigger, but you'd be better off salvaging a portable DVD player. There's the added benefit that these often come with a second screen that is already built with a video in port and a simple display driver (this is what I'm using for a fully scratch-built portable).

abrugsch

Re: Possible cheap screen for GBZ

Post by abrugsch » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:47 am

chances are they use standard 40/50 pin digital input ribbon and would connect to RPi's via DPI mode. (see @kite's build thread for more info on that) but without a datasheet you'd be shooting in the dark...