The Cool Custom Cartridge, but for Sega Genesis?

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Kuusetsu

The Cool Custom Cartridge, but for Sega Genesis?

Post by Kuusetsu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm

I was inspired by this forum to turn my Sega Genesis into a fully functional powerhouse, by using the Raspberry Pi 3. I'm about to attempt the SD extension part, where I take a Sega Genesis cartridge and make it into an extended reader for my microSD card. I want to make sure that I'm thinking about it the right way: I am to desolder the chips from the game cart and solder my SD Adapter to the available pins, then locate the corresponding contacts on the reader, and then solder wires to the right pins and hook it up to the Pi 3?
Also, does anyone know where the test pads are on the Pi 3?
Thanks for any help, it means a lot!

Lpoolm

Re: The Cool Custom Cartridge, but for Sega Genesis?

Post by Lpoolm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 am

I wanted to do the same thing on a snes..
Turns out there is no test pads..
I went another route but couldn't make it look total stock like I wanted!
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 am

I have Eagle libraries for both of those system's carts to make a custom board with SD card slot. The actual cartridge slot can be bought on eBay for a few bucks, then you can wire both to pair up to the Pi's SD pads or simply get a SD extender board and hide in the cart.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Kuusetsu

Post by Kuusetsu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:51 pm

If I may ask, would purchasing one of these boards be an option? If so, how much?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Genesis cart connector:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Industrial- ... 1137330390

as for the cart I can do a normal sized SD slot on it that you can insert the Micro SD into, simply because of the ease of soldering the larger slot for the average person and it's going to be in a cartridge anyways so who cares.

SD Slot:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-SD-Memory- ... 1319499522

I'll have a pcb on OSHpark tomorrow if I have the time.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Kuusetsu

Post by Kuusetsu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am

That sounds super cool! About how much does OSHpark charge?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 am

Depends on the size of the pcb. The cart is just about done but I'm not sure if you're planning to use the aftermarket socket or not. If you are I might make a simple board to fit where the original cart reader was and have the SD breakout pins so it's easy to solder to.

I need your feedback on this.

Kuusetsu

Post by Kuusetsu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm using an original cart. Here's a picture (not by me) of what it looks like.
Joe_Montana_Football_Game_Cartridge.jpg
Joe_Montana_Football_Game_Cartridge.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 9531 times
I might use something like this for the cart slot, but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea.
https://www.ebay.com/i/172228886777?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Suggestions on what to do is appreciated. I'd eventually like to know how to make a PCB (as I hope to make a hard reset and hard power on/off button using the original power and reset buttons from the Genesis and make use of the Genesis' original AC Power cord.) If you know where to start learning, that too would be greatly appreciated!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:44 pm

Kuusetsu wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:06 pm
I'm using an original cart. Here's a picture (not by me) of what it looks like.
Joe_Montana_Football_Game_Cartridge.jpg
I might use something like this for the cart slot, but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea.
https://www.ebay.com/i/172228886777?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Suggestions on what to do is appreciated. I'd eventually like to know how to make a PCB (as I hope to make a hard reset and hard power on/off button using the original power and reset buttons from the Genesis and make use of the Genesis' original AC Power cord.) If you know where to start learning, that too would be greatly appreciated!
So now I'm confused, you want to use an original cart instead of a custom PCB with the SD socket you solder on? I'm thinking I should have just stayed out of this project of yours and let you come up with a solution on your own.

My idea was to make a customs cartridge PCB with the SD Socket that you would then plug into a cheap Cart Socket instead of the original in the Genesis so you only need a small pcb and not ruin the Genesis motherboard.

So now what is your idea?

Kuusetsu

Post by Kuusetsu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:55 pm

My utmost apologies for the confusion. Simply put, my original intention was to use your custom PCB idea with an original game cart shell and original cart connector from my broken Genesis. If the custom connector would be easier to do, then I'll go with that. The eBay link I posted is for the microSD end of the adapter, so I can interface with the Pi 3 (because as far as I know, it has no test pads.)