Button push pressure

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
winnetouch

Button push pressure

Post by winnetouch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm having a weird problem with my GB zero's X and Y buttons. I have to press REALLY hard for the buttons to connect. I tried multiple combinations of pads and buttons but nothing seems to work make the experience better. This is especially noticable when playing games like super mario world where you have to press the Y button to run. I press hard but when I go down to press the B button to jump i loosen up my pressure on the Y button and Mario just stops in his tracks :/.

I realise I could dremmel some bevels in to the case but seing as I already hot glued all the parts in case I'm kind of reluctant to do that especially because of the screen.

Oh... I'm using Helders controller PCB.

Boydee

Re: Button push pressure

Post by Boydee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:47 am

winnetouch wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:51 pm
I'm having a weird problem with my GB zero's X and Y buttons. I have to press REALLY hard for the buttons to connect. I tried multiple combinations of pads and buttons but nothing seems to work make the experience better. This is especially noticable when playing games like super mario world where you have to press the Y button to run. I press hard but when I go down to press the B button to jump i loosen up my pressure on the Y button and Mario just stops in his tracks :/.

I realise I could dremmel some bevels in to the case but seing as I already hot glued all the parts in case I'm kind of reluctant to do that especially because of the screen.

Oh... I'm using Helders controller PCB.
I read somewhere on here or maybe on youtube of something similar, someone tried filling the plastic buttons with a very small amount of glue and it improved the connection with the PCB. I cant remember the exact issue with that case tho sorry

see below
SpoilerShow
Boydees First GBZ : Here

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:45 am

That glue trick kind of worked. The buttons feel stiff but at least they work :)

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:54 am

Had the same issue. Used a pice of the silicone conductive material: i cut a small slice off the cylinderically part and used this to extend the button lenght. Since silicone is hard to glue i used a pice of a needle to fix the silicone spacer part.

oliddell

Post by oliddell » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:30 am

McGyver wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:54 am
Had the same issue. Used a pice of the silicone conductive material: i cut a small slice off the cylinderically part and used this to extend the button lenght. Since silicone is hard to glue i used a pice of a needle to fix the silicone spacer part.
Exactly what I did. I had an extra set of silicone pads. I cut the tip of each of the silicone pads and placed it in each button (the empty part as shown in @Boydee's picture above.). I didnt glue or anything now all 4 buttons have the same feel. 2 minute fix which really works.