Need help: Black screen

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
jblayfield

Need help: Black screen

Post by jblayfield » Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 am

Hey guys!
I have a Problem:
When testing the screen, it seems as if it doesnt get an video input :( . The screen is black, but I can see the green "AV" symbol in the top-right corner and i can adjust the contrast, brightness etc.
I have installed retropie on my sd card with etcher.
Is it possible that retropie is not installed right?

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Need help: Black screen

Post by wermy » Thu May 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Have you tried the same SD card but with HDMI out in stead yet? If you're getting video out via HDMI then that narrows it down to the screen itself or your wiring on the screen. If there is no HDMI output either then that narrows it down to either the SD card or the Pi itself.

Also might be worth reversing the two composite out wires and seeing if that helps, I've noticed that on some screens they seem to be reversed. :?
ImageImageImageImage

jblayfield

Post by jblayfield » Sat May 28, 2016 5:30 am

wermy wrote:Have you tried the same SD card but with HDMI out in stead yet? If you're getting video out via HDMI then that narrows it down to the screen itself or your wiring on the screen. If there is no HDMI output either then that narrows it down to either the SD card or the Pi itself.

Also might be worth reversing the two composite out wires and seeing if that helps, I've noticed that on some screens they seem to be reversed. :?
Thank you for the fast response! :)
I tested the Pi with the SD Card with HDMI out and it worked. The Problem were the two reversed composite out wires, as you said.
Thank you :)

TheMaddModder

Post by TheMaddModder » Mon May 30, 2016 5:33 pm

I am having an identical issue..but not sure I am following on how to just reverse the composite output wires - Can you post a picture of how you corrected it?

Thanks in advance

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue May 31, 2016 1:01 am

TheMaddModder wrote:I am having an identical issue..but not sure I am following on how to just reverse the composite output wires - Can you post a picture of how you corrected it?

Thanks in advance
He means you should just try the other wire.
Most Boards have 2 Video Input wires, so you might have connected the wrong one.
Try to use the other one and it should work. But be aware that there will be no picture if there is no input, even if it is powered.