BW var 2. Broken out of box or am i missing something.

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
chibilaharl

BW var 2. Broken out of box or am i missing something.

Post by chibilaharl » Tue May 31, 2016 5:21 pm

so my VAR 2 bw screen i hooked up to 5volt power and didnt tunr on, so i ramped up the regulator to 12volts and still got nothing. is this thing DOA? or did i miss something?

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: BW var 2. Broken out of box or am i missing something.

Post by Popcorn » Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 pm

Moved to project help

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue May 31, 2016 11:56 pm

Just because you got the screen from the same seller does not mean it will be the exact same display others got.
If you did everything right and it does not run on 5v, try 12v and if this fails it is DOA, if only 5v does not work,
it is not broken but rather another version.

The chinese manufacture a lot of those displays and if a shop buys a lot of them, they order from several factories, because most of the time they only produce small amounts and can't produce large quantities.
Thus some sellers offer the same display with different boards.

Check if you mixed up some wiring and try 12v. If this does not work, maybe post a good picture of the board.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:39 am

Fleder wrote:Just because you got the screen from the same seller does not mean it will be the exact same display others got.
If you did everything right and it does not run on 5v, try 12v and if this fails it is DOA, if only 5v does not work,
it is not broken but rather another version.

The chinese manufacture a lot of those displays and if a shop buys a lot of them, they order from several factories, because most of the time they only produce small amounts and can't produce large quantities.
Thus some sellers offer the same display with different boards.

Check if you mixed up some wiring and try 12v. If this does not work, maybe post a good picture of the board.
All good advice. Just adding a touch to it. Do not open the casing, don't look at the board, don't do any modifications until AFTER you've confirmed that it does turn on and work. Find an A/V output (I use my wii) and a 12v power cord. Check to see if it runs. Then, after you confirm it turned on. Find a 5v power cord and repeat the test. If it doesn't turn on, that's fine. It just means you'll have to figure out how to make it run on 5v (if it even supports it). The emphasis here is that you checked that it would turn on before you modded it, so if it was DoA you could return it for a refund/replacement.

Once it runs on 12v, open it up and have fun either getting it to work or breaking it (hopefully the first).