Anyone from Canada here?

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
Post Reply
User avatar
tinkerBOY
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 4:00 am
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Anyone from Canada here?

Post by tinkerBOY » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Do you usually pay additional taxes at the Post Office when buying from other countries? I shipped two GBZ controller boards worth $22 to Canada last year in which the buyer has to pickup at the Post Office and was informed to pay $14 tax. Isn't that too high? Is it normal?

User avatar
ThompsonTinkers
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Anyone from Canada here?

Post by ThompsonTinkers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

At first that seems a little high. Sales tax (HST) in most of Canada is 13%. Currency differences can play in though. So when the US dollar is worth $1.50 Canadian, 22 x 1.5 x 0.13 = $4.29.

However, there are both taxes and brokerage fees. If you ship with a courier, they will charge the receiver a brokerage fee. That can be $50-$80 on top. UPS is bad for that, IIRC.

Online
User avatar
rodocop
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Location: Saskatchewan
Has thanked: 496 times
Been thanked: 451 times

Re: Anyone from Canada here?

Post by rodocop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am

tinkerBOY wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm
Do you usually pay additional taxes at the Post Office when buying from other countries? I shipped two GBZ controller boards worth $22 to Canada last year in which the buyer has to pickup at the Post Office and was informed to pay $14 tax. Isn't that too high? Is it normal?
I did not have to pay any extra tax or customs fees on the one board you sent me (to Saskatchewan, Canada), could be different based on province? I don't remember did you declare it as a gift or a commodity?

ICMF
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Anyone from Canada here?

Post by ICMF » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Parcels under $20 in value are exempt from taxes.

Parcels over $20 in value are subject to federal and provincial income taxes. The specific amount will vary from province to province.

Parcels that are subject to duties or taxes are also subject to a $10 processing fee from Canada Post - basically, they charge a flat rate fee to cover the screening costs from Customs.

So $14 on a $22 parcel isn't terribly shocking. It's not very common to get dinged for parcels that are that marginal - usually they go after higher value stuff - but it happens.

You could try to get around it by marking the parcel as a gift, as those are exempt to $60, or by marking the value under $20. Although both those options are technically illegal, and under declaring the value means you're screwed on a refund if the parcel gets lost.

And as mentioned, most courier services will charge even higher processing fees, and will typically add their own brokerage charges as well. So it would have been much worse if you'd sent it via DHL, FedEx or UPS.

User avatar
tinkerBOY
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 4:00 am
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: Anyone from Canada here?

Post by tinkerBOY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm

rodocop wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am
tinkerBOY wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm
Do you usually pay additional taxes at the Post Office when buying from other countries? I shipped two GBZ controller boards worth $22 to Canada last year in which the buyer has to pickup at the Post Office and was informed to pay $14 tax. Isn't that too high? Is it normal?
I did not have to pay any extra tax or customs fees on the one board you sent me (to Saskatchewan, Canada), could be different based on province? I don't remember did you declare it as a gift or a commodity?
No i just said it's a pcb when asked. :)

User avatar
tinkerBOY
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 4:00 am
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: Anyone from Canada here?

Post by tinkerBOY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:01 pm

ICMF wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Parcels under $20 in value are exempt from taxes.

Parcels over $20 in value are subject to federal and provincial income taxes. The specific amount will vary from province to province.

Parcels that are subject to duties or taxes are also subject to a $10 processing fee from Canada Post - basically, they charge a flat rate fee to cover the screening costs from Customs.

So $14 on a $22 parcel isn't terribly shocking. It's not very common to get dinged for parcels that are that marginal - usually they go after higher value stuff - but it happens.

You could try to get around it by marking the parcel as a gift, as those are exempt to $60, or by marking the value under $20. Although both those options are technically illegal, and under declaring the value means you're screwed on a refund if the parcel gets lost.

And as mentioned, most courier services will charge even higher processing fees, and will typically add their own brokerage charges as well. So it would have been much worse if you'd sent it via DHL, FedEx or UPS.
Here's an answer im looking thank you so much!

Wait..i remember not declaring any value. I mean the post office did not ask me. Maybe next time i tell them to declare a value.

zim
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: Anyone from Canada here?

Post by zim » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Are you still interested?
I have excellent news for you! I've found out best bike pump on the market. This provides the best experience possible. Check for yourself!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests