New members, introduce yourself!

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
Kilren

Re: New members, introduce yourself!

Post by Kilren » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:01 pm

Adelphos wrote:Hi all, My name's Ben/Adelphos, 23 From the UK. I've had my eye on building a Gameboy Zero for a while, but my girlfriend has just also showed interest in one too so we're taking the plunge together. I have a (Somewhat unused) degree in Electronic Engineering, and currently work in medical equipment repairs so the soldering and tinkering side for me should be nice and straight forward but i'm looking forward to showing my other half how to solder etc. I'd love to try squeeze a PI 3 in a DMG case at some point too, but i think i'll get the zero out of the way first!
Welcome to the community! It'll be neat to see if you come up with anything. So far, our EE's have been pretty awesome

NyteFury

Post by NyteFury » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 am

Hi everyone,
NyteFury here. I'm from LA. I work in the camera department on film sets. I picked this up as a fun and challenging project to keep me out of my wife's hair when I'm not working since we live in a one bedroom apt and she works from home.

My Gameboy Pocket Zero will be my first big electronics project. I've done some soldering before and owned a bunch of the tools I needed to start my GBPZ. Plus I've been bit by the nostalgia bug.
Gameboy Pocket Zero [in progress]: http://imgur.com/a/L87uk

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:33 pm

<steps up to podium> Hi! I'm Al and I'm an alco^H^H^H^Hmodaolic.
I'm a software engineer but have been hacking hardware since I was 8 in the '80s (that's the earliest that i remember my dad getting me to solder something for him...) and I've been doing it ever since. Including studying electronic eng at uni and doing mods and upgrades to every computer i've had from commodore 64, Amiga, PC's, consoles, you name, I've probably modded or upgraded it. Usually unofficially.

I started my GB mod journey about 2 years ago when I was looking for somewhere to 3D print the adafruit piGrrl case. I eventually found my local hacker/makerspace SoMakeIt and instead of printing the shell on their printers decided to go head long into modding a DMG case, whuch I properly started last summer... Real life(tm) has been getting in the way though so it's still not done :oops: but my plan is to make as many 3D printed and custom PCB parts as possible to make my 2nd(3rd... 4th...) one easier to reproduce. It just seems the whole world is doing it now ;)
See my original work log at http://www.hackster.io/abrugsch

Francis

Post by Francis » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Hello, Sudomod community!

My name is Francis. I'm a 23 year old mechanical engineering physics student (senior) in the sunny state of Texas. Although my discipline is in mechanical engineering, I love to mess around with electronic stuff. I've been taking things apart since childhood. One of my birthday presents when I was 11 was a screwdriver set :lol:
However, don't let my background fool you, I'm a total noob when it comes to electronic stuff.

I haven't done any cool projects in a long time, but after running into the gameboy zero project on YouTube I couldn't look away. I'm very much looking forward to playing my favorite childhood games on a handheld device crafted by my own two hands.

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:51 am

Hello!

My name is Tatjana, I'm 26 years old and a mechanical engineer student in Kaiserslautern, Germany.
I have some experience with raspberrypi and arduino, but mainly using breadboards for my projects, so I'll need to improve my soldering skills before starting the GBZ project :D

I love to play old games on my smartphone, but playing with touch buttons isn't fun. So when I saw wermy's guide I decided to give it a try and learn something new along the way. I've already got some parts together, so hopefully you'll see some progress soon.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:24 am

Brad from Michigan here... After spending about 10 years working as a pharmacist in an ER, I eventually moved on to the IT/pharmacy space for my hospital. Always been kind of a nerd -- did some BASIC programming on my TI-99/4A in elementary school, learned PHP to build/maintain a website for a regional pharmacy organization. Last year I built a fullsize arcade cabinet with a PC in it (did my first soldering then, but just connecting wires to each other).

I was collecting parts for a smaller bartop arcade powered by a Pi3 when I saw the GBZ videos. I've since scrapped the bartop, and am now working on a GBZ. A coworker caught wind of this, so now I'm technically working on two GBZs.
Image Image

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi I'm Alex from Cleveland, Ohio (USA) and I'm a database project manager at a local nonprofit. As a kid I always took electronics apart... just never actually put them back together again. I've been looking for a new hobby and I've always wanted to actually learn hardware; when I saw @Wermy's tutorials I knew I had to try.

I made a bunch of diagrams to help myself learn the basics that I had forgotten since high school.

For anyone new, you may not know that we have an ongoing chat on Discord. Stop by and say hi!
My wiring diagrams and schematics for Helder's boards and graceful shutdowns.

Zarrath

Post by Zarrath » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:59 am

Hi there from Turkey i am just started my gbz adventure. My plan was put different pcbs together until i saw al in one pcb :D i will buy one of them if i can

Merlin04

Post by Merlin04 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 pm

a3k4 wrote: For anyone new, you may not know that we have an ongoing chat on Discord. Stop by and say hi!
The link doesn't work. It doesn't pull up a thing where you can chat.
(I have never used Discord, so there might be an obvious thing I am missing)
I haven't been active for a while. I periodically check the forum and blog for interesting projects, but don't post very much.

RRexy

Post by RRexy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:57 pm

(It seems kinda late but I'll still say something.)

Hello, my name is Jeremiah Aka "RRRexy", and I'm younger than expected. (I'll give you a gold star if you guess my age :D )
I'm from Nevada although I was born in the Philippines.

I found @wermy from kitsch-bent, and I found kitsch-bent because I love chiptunes, and I found a place called ChipMusic.org, and I found kitsch-bent there.
Grab -> Up-throw -> Rest!! Image