Brand New Noob Member and Everything Else

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
Awesomenatious

Brand New Noob Member and Everything Else

Post by Awesomenatious » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:34 am

Hi Everyone, I'm Ryan. New to Sudomod, New to The Maker Scene.
(Unless you include me dismantelling my dads remote control car when I was five) or (building computers and BMX bikes when I was 12) (or messing about with CB radios when I was 13) or Lego and Meccano... etc

But I AM new to microelectronics, soldering, coding, using a rotary tool annnnnd basically all the Skills used and required for Building (my First Build) a Gameboy Zero.

Glad to be here, I have spoke to a few of you already when purchasing stuff. (Thanks for the printed button Wells WERMY and basically all of this, we exist in your SudoModdedWorld)

I will no doubt be asking lots of questions. I am less than half way through my First Build. (But I just received my PiZero W this Morning so will be swapping that into it, to replace the v1.3 Standard PiZero.

So. Thanks for everything so far. Would LOVE to get my hands on one of these AIO boards from Helder or Kite (haven't learned how to link to people on the forum yet, this is my first post)

But I'm learning Quickly and I will welcome any advice or criticism.

Speak to you All soon. Thanks for having me

Ryan

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Brand New Noob Member and Everything Else

Post by wermy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:44 am

Welcome, Ryan! Thanks for joining us. :)

I went ahead and moved this to the lounge area as it's an introduction thread.
ImageImageImageImage

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:51 am

Learning how to post pictures... hope this is of interest..
Attachments
IMG_4118.JPG
The Front of My All Custom Parts DMGZero Build
IMG_4118.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 5167 times
IMG_4124.JPG
PiZero W with Case and USB shim
IMG_4124.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5167 times

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:02 am

wermy wrote:Welcome, Ryan! Thanks for joining us. :)

Ahhh,, see... showing my Noob Status already. I'm all GameBoy Zero Single minded at the moment. So just went straight for that Forum.
Thank for the welcome :D

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:21 am

Awesomenatious wrote:

Ahhh,, see... showing my Noob Status already. I'm all GameBoy Zero Single minded at the moment. So just went straight for that Forum.
No worries! Feel free to make a build log thread in the showoff corner if you like. Also, jealous of your Zero W! Mine is still a few days out. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:34 am

Haha, [mention]wermy[/mention] jealous of something I have... that's funny. I've been aspiring to your skills since I became aware of the Original GameBoy Zero Build.

My build sits somewhere in the middle of the Wermy original and the all After market build. Mine is Aftermarket too. The Case is Kitsch-Bent so not even the standard Gameboy Profile shape, but basically the same essentially. And I have The Kitsch-Bent (4 button) PCB as well as two with only the two buttons. They were the first few things I bought. Before I even knew what I actually needed or started researching parts.

I'm currently at the power and the sound part of the build. Just programmed the Teensy using the Wermy Template/download. Seems to work now I've configured the buttons in Retro Pie

But I'm not sure if I want to do USB audio or PWM, I have been looking at the Pimoroni DAC too, or now I could go Bluetooth i guess, Built in Bluetooth on the Zero W might open up that whole audio thing. And Take it all Iphone 7, be damned with the headphone jack!!

But I'm still thinking this all over. I still like the idea of having headphones and standard speakers. Keeping it more like the original GB. But then nothing on my build is actually original. So I'm conflicted. As you can most likely tell.

Once I'm more confident, I'll put together a build log and add it to the forum. Right now. Nothing really works, so it's premature to post about it. Lol

I will take any thoughts on audio and advice. Because I'm fuzzy on my next step.

With regards to the Zero W, I'm lucky being in the UK, on this occasion, since they are based here. I have 3 of them currently. And I subscribed to a Magpi magazine to get a 4th sent out.

I probably don't deserve them. Since I'm not as proficient as you guys.

But I assume they are worth having for the next generation on Zero Builds to copy. :D

Catch you Soon

Ryan
wermy wrote:
Awesomenatious wrote:

No worries! Feel free to make a build log thread in the showoff corner if you like. Also, jealous of your Zero W! Mine is still a few days out. :)