Taking the GBZ on a flight

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.

Will you take your custom-made GBZ on an airplane flight?

Definitely! I can use some time killer while flying.
81%
No, I will not. I don't want to jeopardize my flight.
19%

Total votes: 124

chiz

Taking the GBZ on a flight

Post by chiz » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:57 pm

As you know, I recently traveled by plane and was originally intending I can finish my build so my daughter can use the GB Pi2 to kill time during the flight. Unfortunately, I did not finish the build in time for this flight.

Last night, while I'm burn-in testing my build, I saw smoke coming out the break-out board and I immediately removed the power! :o After thorough checking, I saw some black burn marks in one of my solder points in the break-out. There was no bridging as I constantly test for bridging every time I finish soldering. Turns out it's excess liquid flux that evaporated and caused the smoke. Whew! :lol: Afterwards, I plugged in the power once again and never any smoke since then.

This made me think that since we're building a custom piece of electronic device that didn't go through rigorous quality control tests and might be a fire hazard, is everyone confident on bringing their completed GBZ/GB Pi on an airplane flight?

Robots86

Re: Taking the GBZ on a flight

Post by Robots86 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:22 pm

I voted yes to taking becuase thats my plan when i fly to the US later in the year. I have been thinking about that and i would hate for them to take it off me at security. I dont see it being a hazard though. Not with the skills ive learned on this site and forum. Thanks everyone

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:56 pm

chiz wrote:This made me think that since we're building a custom piece of electronic device that didn't go through rigorous quality control tests and might be a fire hazard, is everyone confident on bringing their completed GBZ/GB Pi on an airplane flight?
Haha, I can only imagine someone pulling out their GBZ to play and someone else screaming bomb. What a day. That'll get publicity for the GBZ.

chiz

Post by chiz » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Kilren wrote:
chiz wrote:This made me think that since we're building a custom piece of electronic device that didn't go through rigorous quality control tests and might be a fire hazard, is everyone confident on bringing their completed GBZ/GB Pi on an airplane flight?
Haha, I can only imagine someone pulling out their GBZ to play and someone else screaming bomb. What a day. That'll get publicity for the GBZ.
LOL agree :)

I was actually thinking of bringing all the materials and soldering stuff with me and pack them in a checked baggage so I can continue working on the project but I figured airport security might summon me thinking that I'm making a bomb -- wires, soldering iron, LiPo battery -- all the materials for making one. :lol:

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:09 pm

chiz wrote:LOL agree :)

I was actually thinking of bringing all the materials and soldering stuff with me and pack them in a checked baggage so I can continue working on the project but I figured airport security might summon me thinking that I'm making a bomb -- wires, soldering iron, LiPo battery -- all the materials for making one. :lol:
Do it. Nothing could possibly go wrong! Umm, and call me to tell me how it went.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Haha! I remember telling my wife "I'll never be able to take this on a plane" when I finished the MintyPi project. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:45 pm

wermy wrote:Haha! I remember telling my wife "I'll never be able to take this on a plane" when I finished the MintyPi project. :)
Now, if it looks like a gameboy, feels like a gameboy, plays like a gameboy, I doubt a ton of security cares to investigate it far enough to realize it is something different. It plays video games, must be a gameboy. Worst case scenario I can imagine is they tell you to check it into your luggage. If it turns on and plays a game, I doubt they'd pay any more attention to it.

Now for the minty pi, that might be different. It is definitely a (the?) bomb.
Last edited by Kilren on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Kilren wrote:
wermy wrote:Haha! I remember telling my wife "I'll never be able to take this on a plane" when I finished the MintyPi project. :)
Now, if it looks like a gameboy, feels like a gameboy, plays like a gameboy, I doubt a ton of security cares to investigate it far enough to realize it is something different. It plays video games, must be a gameboy. Worst case scenario I can imagine is they tell you to check it into your luggage. If it turns on and plays a game, I doubt they'd pay any more attention to it.

Now for the minty pi, that might be different. It is defintely a (the?) bomb.
Sure, but what will they say if it's an Altoids tin that has wires/battery/screen/buttons cobbled together on it? :D
ImageImageImageImage

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:50 pm

wermy wrote:Sure, but what will they say if it's an Altoids tin that has wires/battery/screen/buttons cobbled together on it? :D
I sneaked in an edit. Yeah, the minty pi is definitely some sort of james bond or mission impossible national espionage bomb device that will start WWIII with the middle east while playing MegaMan.

dominator

Post by dominator » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:09 am

I got stopped and searched at airport security as I had a homemade torch in the bottom of my bag. They wern't impressed because it was at the bottom of my bag and that my torch was a battery holder with a driver board and heatsink with 3x 3w led's stuck to it. At least I didn't get strip searched :D :D :D

I think they will be interested in my GBZ :|