raging :( :(

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
dirtybeagles

raging :( :(

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:12 am

so... I was working on my RP0 to attach some LED lights to the powerboost and I ended up shorting it out. :x It will no longer turn on through the power switch. These things are about $25 from amazon or ebay now a days so I am pretty bummed out. I have a spare, but that was for my other project so now I need to order another one. It is my own fault, I left the metal backing on the gameboy case and I should of taken that off but me being new at this, I just put electrical tape there thinking that would be enough... $25 later, I think I learned a valuable lesson.

err... so pissed. :oops: :oops: :oops:

tronicgr

Re: raging :( :(

Post by tronicgr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:22 am

dirtybeagles wrote:so... I was working on my RP0 to attach some LED lights to the powerboost and I ended up shorting it out. :x It will no longer turn on through the power switch. These things are about $25 from amazon or ebay now a days so I am pretty bummed out. I have a spare, but that was for my other project so now I need to order another one. It is my own fault, I left the metal backing on the gameboy case and I should of taken that off but me being new at this, I just put electrical tape there thinking that would be enough... $25 later, I think I learned a valuable lesson.

There are worst things happened to because of the powerboost. I had one of them fail on the boost chip. I replaced it with new, worked for a few days until it partially burned again giving out only 3.3v. That has as effect to latch the attached raspberry pi in "short" mode (draws 2.5A now)... so I lost the powerboost and the raspberry pi 3 in one shot... :(

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:33 am

tronicgr wrote:... so I lost the powerboost and the raspberry pi 3 in one shot... :(
Dang, sorry bro.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 am

dirtybeagles wrote:so... I was working on my RP0 to attach some LED lights to the powerboost and I ended up shorting it out. :x It will no longer turn on through the power switch. These things are about $25 from amazon or ebay now a days so I am pretty bummed out. I have a spare, but that was for my other project so now I need to order another one. It is my own fault, I left the metal backing on the gameboy case and I should of taken that off but me being new at this, I just put electrical tape there thinking that would be enough... $25 later, I think I learned a valuable lesson.

That stinks, sorry. :\ What do you mean by electrical tape not being enough though?
ImageImageImageImage

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:11 am

wermy wrote:That stinks, sorry. :\ What do you mean by electrical tape not being enough though?
Well. I had a single layer of electrical tape over the metal bracket inside the GBZ and when I was trying to mount the LED optic fiber plastic to the LED lights on the powerboost, I guess I pressed down a little to hard causing something to touch the metal through the tape. As soon as it happened, the switch no longer would power on the pi or screen. I could plug a USB directly to the powerboost to get power and that worked, but nothing would come out of the battery. I tried connecting a USB to the secondary USB port connected to the USB input on the powerboost and the charging light no longer came on either.

I will be replacing the powerboost tonight so "fingers crossed" I hope nothing else fried.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:00 pm

welp... interesting enough... my ground wire to my battery came lose. I guess that would be my problem. :lol: