[PREORDER] Game Boy Cart Micro SD Card Boards

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
prerunnerseth

[PREORDER] Game Boy Cart Micro SD Card Boards

Post by prerunnerseth » Tue May 10, 2016 4:13 pm

I have designed a PCB to replace the original PCB in the Game Boy Cart. This board has a micro SD card slot on it and will interface with the original game boy Card edge connector. These boards will come assembled with the micro SD card slot and some decoupling caps for the power. For this board the fingers will need to be plated with the thick gold to handle repeated insertion and removals. Immersion gold or silver solder will wear down very quickly. This thick gold adds to the cost of the PCB. I am Pre-selling these boards to make sure there is enough interest due to the higher cost of the PCBs. The Pre-orders will get free shipping. fully assembled boards will be $22. I will open pre-order to 20 people and will order the boards once we reach at least 5. Once ordered It will take about 10 days to get the boards in house. If anyone in the EU or UK would like to sell these PM me and we can arrange a bulk sale. I will provide a guide telling customers exactly which pins on the card edge to solder to exactly which test points on the Pi Zero.

I will post a screen shot of the PCB in the layout software tomorrow when I get to work. I am an electronics engineer for a large chip maker and do layout as part of my job.

Please reply to this post when you place your order and shoot me a PM confirming your paypal email account.

I have decided to order even if I only get 5.

Thanks
PreRunnerSeth _ PRS-TECH

1. jlane52641
2. ktechelonbreak
3. hoot
4. mgsickler
5. DirtyBeagles
6. choochootrain23
7. choochootrain23
8. 129jbc
9. Cannikin
10. Alexkidd2
11. SidSilver
12.petran1420
13.petran1420
14. Revojames
15. Rod2D2
16. Jlane52641
17. loafslice
18. topher
19. Tindalos
20. unknown buyer
Last edited by prerunnerseth on Sat May 28, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 23 times in total.

jlane52641

Re: (PREORDER) Game Boy Cart Micro SD Card Boards

Post by jlane52641 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm in.
Thanks!!

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Tue May 10, 2016 6:20 pm

In for one as well! I'm looking to make a 2nd GBZ and this seems like a very easy way to avoid all that wiring. Quick question, is this just for the top half or does this PCB cover the entire Gameboy (button PCB) ?

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Tue May 10, 2016 6:22 pm

ktechelonbreak wrote:In for one as well! I'm looking to make a 2nd GBZ and this seems like a very easy way to avoid all that wiring. Quick question, is this just for the top half or does this PCB cover the entire Gameboy (button PCB) ?
This is just for the board that goes into a game boy cartridge and interfaces with the original game boy connector. It has the micro SD card socket on it.

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:39 pm

prerunnerseth wrote:I have designed a PCB to replace the original PCB in the Game Boy Cart. This board has a micro SD card slot on it and will interface with the original game boy Card edge connector. These boards will come assembled with the micro SD card slot and some decoupling caps for the power. For this board the fingers will need to be plated with the thick gold to handle repeated insertion and removals. Immersion gold or silver solder will wear down very quickly. This thick gold adds to the cost of the PCB. I am Pre-selling these boards to make sure there is enough interest due to the higher cost of the PCBs. The Pre-orders will get free shipping. fully assembled boards will be $22. I will open pre-order to 20 people and will order the boards once we reach at least 10. Once ordered It will take about 10 days to get the boards in house. If anyone in the EU or UK would like to sell these PM me and we can arrange a bulk sale. I will provide a guide telling customers exactly which pins on the card edge to solder to exactly which test points on the Pi Zero.

I will post a screen shot of the PCB in the layout software tomorrow when I get to work. I am an electronics engineer for a large chip maker and do layout as part of my job.

Please reply to this post when you place your order and shoot me a PM confirming your paypal email account.

If we don't reach 10 I will refund all payments received.

Thanks
PreRunnerSeth _ PRS-TECH

1. jlane52641
2. ktechelonbreak

So will something still need to be soldered to the Pi zero from the cartridge? What will need to be done to make it work with the original cartridge reader? Also are you selling in the USA ?
Last edited by Rod2D2 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Tue May 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Not sure you mean to make it compatible with the original cardridge. You will mount this board into a cartridge. Modifly it a little to allow you to insert and remove the micro SD card. Inside the gameboy you will solder a few pins on the original card edge connector to your pi zero. Then mount the card edge connector in the case and you're good to go. Works much like the original project except you won't have to cut up a cartridge PCB and solder in the micro SD card adapter.

I am located in the US.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Since i already have the kk_gb_brkout from kitsch-bent i suppose all this thing does is save me the trouble of soldering the sd card adapter to the brkout? If i didn't already buy and have that i would probably have bought this. :/ I should learn how to solder anyway though.

Post by 1461748123 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:32 pm

I will say the price is ridiculously high :/

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 am

1461748123 wrote:I will say the price is ridiculously high :/
The thick gold adds significantly and the Micro SD card slots are $3 a piece.

Here are images of the PCB in layout software and one of a cutout with a socket laying on top in the cart case.

prerunnerseth

Re: [PREORDER] Game Boy Cart Micro SD Card Boards

Post by prerunnerseth » Wed May 11, 2016 6:32 am

Hope this clears up some confusion. This replaces what you see below with a custom PCB with the card slot already mounted on it. The reason for the cost is the gold fingers that make repeated contact with the connector in the game boy need to have whats called thick gold plating. the immersion gold or silver solder will wear down very quickly. The price for the card slot is also $3 a piece.