[For Sale] GBZ All In One PCB (Pre Orders V2)Sold Out!

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
Ganreizu

Re: [For Sale] GBZ All In One PCB (Pre Orders)

Post by Ganreizu » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:31 pm

jothie wrote:Now you have me worried. I am definitely a novice when it comes to soldering. I've built and repaired computers my whole life but actually working on a circuits is new to me. I have some soldering experience in automotive work and replaced a row of bad capacitors on my Vizio television circuit board. I would of thought the AIO board would be better for a novice not worse. Seems like alot less work than Wermy's video without one. I look at this as a learning experience, soldering is something I've always wanted to learn and this just seems like a fun project to dive into. I've read just about everything on this forum backwards and forwards a dozen times. Watched all Wermy's video's multiple times and have watched hours or soldering-for-idiot guides on Youtube. I was feeling pretty confident, but now you have me worried lol. Oh well.. its only $35 if I mess it up(and your hard earned time I suppose). Tho I'm probably about 2 months away from having the time needed to start this project. Maybe I'll practice on other things in the meantime.
It's really not that difficult. You have as much experience as i do and this will absolutely save you time and hassle. Just be careful and do not rush things and you shouldn't end up with burned out components.

noebl1

Post by noebl1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:36 pm

jothie wrote: Now you have me worried. I am definitely a novice when it comes to soldering. I've built and repaired computers my whole life but actually working on a circuits is new to me. I have some soldering experience in automotive work and replaced a row of bad capacitors on my Vizio television circuit board. I would of thought the AIO board would be better for a novice not worse. Seems like alot less work than Wermy's video without one. I look at this as a learning experience, soldering is something I've always wanted to learn and this just seems like a fun project to dive into. I've read just about everything on this forum backwards and forwards a dozen times. Watched all Wermy's video's multiple times and have watched hours or soldering-for-idiot guides on Youtube. I was feeling pretty confident, but now you have me worried lol. Oh well.. its only $35 if I mess it up(and your hard earned time I suppose). Tho I'm probably about 2 months away from having the time needed to start this project. Maybe I'll practice on other things in the meantime.
I get what Helder is trying to say as I don't blame him at all, especially not wanting to support people after destroying their boards. Soldering takes a little practice and not always a matter of melting it and shoving a wire in :)

That being said, just practice a little if you are worried... Whether find some old electronics and practice solder/desoldering, or pick up some broken stuff from a place like Sparkfun. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8477 . Also I find sometimes the ultra cheap $5-$10 soldering irons and such aren't worth the trouble as can often spend more time battling those than anything else (not saying all cheap ones are bad, just my experiences with some I've seen.) Same with cheap solder, sometime it can be crap and frustrating to use.

I find when helping my friends out... the major of the time they are setting temps way too high, and then burning the crap out of their boards and ripping vias and such off the boards or melting/burning wires. Find the temp at which the solder melts freely onto the pads and such on your practice boards. Do that a bunch of time, and practice coating wires with a bit of solder as well (trying again to find a good temp to melt solder to the wires without melting the wires exterior up.) Then practice joining the presoldered wires you made to your practice boards. Practice carefully melting wires that are soldered into boards already, and carefully removing them, whether using solder wick, a solder sucker, etc. Practice cleaning out the clear vias or contacts as well. Sometimes your gonna mess up, but based on what I've seen with this project, that's the majority of what you'll be doing... over and over and over. :)

I recall my first project years back which had SMT components on them and I was terrified. Watched a TON of videos and such. Finally bit the bullet and did it, and found it was easier than I thought. Ironically some of the other parts of that project were worse than the soldering.

Just my .02.

EDIT: One last comment, it's funny based on my past projects; the soldering and stuff doesn't worry me so much as cleaning using tools like a dremel and such to keep it neat :) So we're all coming in at different experience levels. I actually got a few broken GB to practice on knowing I'll mess the first one or two up.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Now you have me worried. I am definitely a novice when it comes to soldering. I've built and repaired computers my whole life but actually working on a circuits is new to me. I have some soldering experience in automotive work and replaced a row of bad capacitors on my Vizio television circuit board. I would of thought the AIO board would be better for a novice not worse. Seems like alot less work than Wermy's video without one. I look at this as a learning experience, soldering is something I've always wanted to learn and this just seems like a fun project to dive into. I've read just about everything on this forum backwards and forwards a dozen times. Watched all Wermy's video's multiple times and have watched hours or soldering-for-idiot guides on Youtube. I was feeling pretty confident, but now you have me worried lol. Oh well.. its only $35 if I mess it up(and your hard earned time I suppose). Tho I'm probably about 2 months away from having the time needed to start this project. Maybe I'll practice on other things in the meantime.
The reason I said this was that people who have never done anything like this or even soldered anything see the videos and think this is a piece of cake and it's not always the case. You seem to be able to tackle this with the experience you have so you should be fine and I did design this to be simple to solder to but I have been asked very noobish questions and I get the feeling that they are in way over their heads.

I have no issues troubleshooting board problems but when the user has no idea of anything even when there are simple wiring image diagrams is something I don't want to spend time on. I simply assume with the wealth of knowledge on the forum and Wiki that people who want to buy this board have an idea of what it's all about and general install idea (I do have wiring diagrams and others have made some too).

Basically do a little research of what and why you need things, most people who want the board are all set but it'd be nice for everyone to be on the same page.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 pm

If I can do it, anyone can....err um, unless they can't. Then I'm just better. Yeah.

But really, I took one electronics class 16 years ago in High School and didnt touch a soldering iron or circuit board since, and I was able to get A GBZ up and running. There's so much information on it here, you can literally see every move you have to make, and determine if it's something you can do. With Helder's board, it's just that much more easy..... it's half the soldering, and half the wires running about the case. You da man :D

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:40 pm

So I was looking at ways to NOT have to dremel the board because of my carelessness and over extending the board Analog Pin area into where the Speaker is and found that you can get pretty cheap and smaller NDS Speakers that should fit the bill and no board grinding needed.

I'll likely fix this in another revision.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Inner-Loud ... Sw5ZBWLc8l

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:09 pm

Is this the case with the limited white Audio PCB's as well?

I won't be using an analog stick so if I grind away at the analog pin area will that create any other issues?

day

Post by day » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:26 am

amazing ! will take one when back in stock :)

but question, I plan on using the analog stick, and this speaker (http://www.elv.de/visaton-kleinlautspre ... 8-ohm.html). reading your last comment, it won't be compatible ?

thanks for your time !

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:19 pm

day wrote:amazing ! will take one when back in stock :)

but question, I plan on using the analog stick, and this speaker (http://www.elv.de/visaton-kleinlautspre ... 8-ohm.html). reading your last comment, it won't be compatible ?

thanks for your time !
Definitely need to grind the Analog area if you plan to use one of those, you can also cut away the speaker holding wall (the circle plastic wall) to shift the speaker to the left.

Rod2D2 wrote:Is this the case with the limited white Audio PCB's as well?

I won't be using an analog stick so if I grind away at the analog pin area will that create any other issues?
No issues what soever but be sure that the 5V pad isn't touching anything else once it's ground off.

Kepsilonz

Post by Kepsilonz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Great! I want one!!

SwingeyP

Post by SwingeyP » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:55 am

Hi.

I've been trying to contact you via email. I need two of these new boards v1.4.

Can you put me on the orders list please.

Regards - Paul
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[color=#8000BF][b][size=85]https://www. ... b][/color][/size][/size]