[Sold Out] Safe Shutdown v1.0 for BangGood/GearBest/Generic power Supply

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
Camble

Re: [For Sale] Safe Shutdown v1.0 for BangGood/GearBest/Generic power Supply

Post by Camble » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 pm

I've run out of stock now. As these were more expensive to produce I won't be restocking right now. If there is enough interest for a pre-order, I may do another run that way. I'm also considering removing the low battery functionality. People seem to prefer analog battery monitoring as opposed to a digital warning and this should reduce the cost a bit. Let me know what you think.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Camble wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 pm
I've run out of stock now. As these were more expensive to produce I won't be restocking right now. If there is enough interest for a pre-order, I may do another run that way. I'm also considering removing the low battery functionality. People seem to prefer analog battery monitoring as opposed to a digital warning and this should reduce the cost a bit. Let me know what you think.
It's easy enough to monitor batter with an ads1015 (or depending on what board you are using ie tinkerbboy, glitch'd gaming you have incorporated monitoring anyway), i feel like having a slide switch that initiates a safe shutdown is all that is needed! that's my two cents.

Merlin

Re: [Sold Out] Safe Shutdown v1.0 for BangGood/GearBest/Generic power Supply

Post by Merlin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 am

I'm of the same opinion as rodocop.
Battery monitor scripts for this board never worked!
A simplest and cheaper board with only the needed circuit and the switch just to safe shutdown the system will be a better option,imho.(furthermore it will be universal,compatible with any powerboost or raspberry models)
The python script will be very simple too,just few lines of code to make it works.
Then,who needs to monitor the battery level can add an ads1015.

JDMDingo

Post by JDMDingo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Camble wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 pm
Wow, I guess I built my first GBZ at the right time as I was able to secure one of the last boards. Thanks a lot for the fast shipping to Japan and the great board.

JDMDingo

Post by JDMDingo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 pm

sandog wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:41 am
will this work and would this be a good idea to use with tinker boys newest board
I am using it with the TinkerBoy 3.0.1 board with out any issues. If you mean his display board, they can not be used together as the needs GPIO pins are used and only usable pins are GPIO 26,11,10,27,18. Unless in the safe shutdown script those pins are usable.

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:00 pm

@JDMDingo Different pins can be used for the power monitor script, it's easy to tweak.

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:22 pm

If you produce more, i will take 2.
And yes, i agree removing the low battery
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm having some issues with the board working. I'm using the Banggod version and I wired it according to the diagram in the first post (that I actually drew up :lol: ).

I installed the script and tested it like described here: https://github.com/Camble/Safe-Power-Monitor

So the script actually executes correctly when initiated from the command prompt.

But when I flip of the switch to off the script doesn't actually run. I also set the safe_power_monitor.py: to FALSE.

It turns ON OK, I just can't get it to switch off.

the_darkman

Post by the_darkman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:47 am

As i just installed this just a few moments ago and i was also facing some issues, perhaps i can help ...
My issue was that the PCB really needs all 6 connections of the switch (i use a big switch so i can't solder it to the PCB).

So when you say you connected it like in the diagram, you also used the B+ pin?
winnetouch wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 pm
So the script actually executes correctly when initiated from the command prompt.
Will it terminate on the command prompt or run "forever"?
So, on the very first run, the script will change your /boot/config.txt file if you not edited it manually, after that the system reboots. I'm assuming that this did not happen to you. Then you should check with executing

Code: Select all

ps ax | grep safe_power_monitor
if it is really running.
winnetouch wrote:
But when I flip of the switch to off the script doesn't actually run. I also set the safe_power_monitor.py: to FALSE.
Well, i assume you only changed the one line

AdafruitPowerBoost  = False
winnetouch wrote:
Turning it on is nothing else than a regular switch. The "safe off" part only works in combination with the running script. So if the power does not get cut when you switch it off, something seems not to be wired correctly.

If you're 100% sure everything is ok with the wiring, than you can always check the log.txt file in the Safe-Power-Monitor folder.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 am

the_darkman wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:47 am
As i just installed this just a few moments ago and i was also facing some issues, perhaps i can help ...
My issue was that the PCB really needs all 6 connections of the switch (i use a big switch so i can't solder it to the PCB).

So when you say you connected it like in the diagram, you also used the B+ pin?
winnetouch wrote:
Will it terminate on the command prompt or run "forever"?
So, on the very first run, the script will change your /boot/config.txt file if you not edited it manually, after that the system reboots. I'm assuming that this did not happen to you. Then you should check with executing

ps ax | grep safe_power_monitor
if it is really running.
winnetouch wrote:
Well, i assume you only changed the one line

AdafruitPowerBoost  = False
winnetouch wrote:
Turning it on is nothing else than a regular switch. The "safe off" part only works in combination with the running script. So if the power does not get cut when you switch it off, something seems not to be wired correctly.

If you're 100% sure everything is ok with the wiring, than you can always check the log.txt file in the Safe-Power-Monitor folder.
Hy, sorry for the late response. I put the project on the side for quote a while. Been busy trying to get some guitar pedals of the ground :P.

Yes I also soldiered the B+ pin to the B+ of the banggod power supply. I wired it EXACTLY as in the diagram. Is there an error in the diagram? For the rest I'll have to get back to you. I have to dig up the gameboy, recheck everything and start it up again.