PiStation Raspberry Pi Powered Mini Console

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
day

PiStation Raspberry Pi Powered Mini Console

Post by day » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:29 am

Hi all,

Staying the emulation world, I know this guy (Rob Dunn) that is selling a PiStation Raspberry Pi Powered Mini Console.

As per the ebay page (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/192106291127):
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 8764 times
- One of a kind prototype
- Raspberry Pi 3 with 128GB install of Attract Mode & Emulation Station.
- Custom designed frontend with preview videos for games.
- Runs NES, SNES, ARCADE, PS1, PSP, NEO GEO, GBA and more!
- 5V 2.5 amp micro USB power supply.
- 3D printed durable shell modeled after the PS1
- 2 front USB inputs (auto configs many popular brand USB controllers)
- HDMI out
- 1/8th inch stereo out
- Built in WiFi
- Built in Bluetooth (use PS3 controllers wirelessy!)

the man is really good and you can check his instagram for more info :

https://www.instagram.com/robertdunnart/

he is easily reachable if you have any questions

only sharing this here as I think it could interest some of you just like we love the GBZ and the miniNES.

never knew if it is actually usefull to say that but I do not work with Rob, I will not make profit from any sales, and this is not linked with my companies etc, just sharing the info :)

HoolyHoo

Re: PiStation Raspberry Pi Powered Mini Console

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:23 am

Or just print and make your own.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1448226
or
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2112413

It's really not cool for people to make money off of other peoples work, not to mention it's illegal to sell a fully loaded image.

day

Post by day » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 am

hey HoolyHoo,

how is that other people's work ? can you please develop a bit more how is that different from what we are doing with our GBZ ?

Rob designed the 3D model from scratch, can't you see the difference in the details compared with the thingiverse links you posted ? He also built his own Attract Mode install, so maybe I missed something and I am honestly curious :) plus on his instagram you can see that he is buidling other bartops and arcade cabinet, from scratch, so I would say he is the last one to steal other people's work !

selling a fully functionnal mini console that he 3d designed from scratch, with a system that he built (therefore, not simply downloading HFS box and installing it, enjoying other's work), doesn't seem unfair to me.

if so, then what about those GBZ that people are selling, or about the miniNES or other custom mod ?

just out of transparency, I am trully asking and curious, not 'shouting', 'trolling' or getting mad, and this is a virtual discussion, therefore not representative of my voice and emotions.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:53 am

day wrote:hey HoolyHoo,

how is that other people's work ? can you please develop a bit more how is that different from what we are doing with our GBZ ?

Rob designed the 3D model from scratch, can't you see the difference in the details compared with the thingiverse links you posted ? He also built his own Attract Mode install, so maybe I missed something and I am honestly curious :) plus on his instagram you can see that he is buidling other bartops and arcade cabinet, from scratch, so I would say he is the last one to steal other people's work !

selling a fully functionnal mini console that he 3d designed from scratch, with a system that he built (therefore, not simply downloading HFS box and installing it, enjoying other's work), doesn't seem unfair to me.

if so, then what about those GBZ that people are selling, or about the miniNES or other custom mod ?

just out of transparency, I am trully asking and curious, not 'shouting', 'trolling' or getting mad, and this is a virtual discussion, therefore not representative of my voice and emotions.
Day, this is from the RetroPie sight:
RetroPie is a system to install/configure emulators on an existing OS – The RetroPie Setup Script is released under the GPL.

The image we provide is Raspbian Lite with RetroPie pre-installed. Much of the software included in the RetroPie image have non-commercial licences. Because of this selling a pre-installed RetroPie image is not legal – this includes “giving away” a pre-installed RetroPie with your commercial product. Including copyrighted games with RetroPie is also not allowed.

If you are selling hardware that supports RetroPie you should provide a link to our site for your customers rather than including a RetroPie image with your product.
His 128GB image that he sells for commercial purposes with his case is against this license agreement.

As far as the case he sells, I can't tell if the quality is any better than the thingiverse ones because there are no actual pictures of the printed cases only renders. If he created it and wants to sell it, great. It's one thing to just sell the case but I doubt he would get $200 for a pi and a case if that was all he was selling. See my point?

People selling GBZ and miniNES with loaded roms to me is no different. What we do here and what I feel the SudoMod community was founded on was making these mods for our own personal use and enjoyment. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against making profit but not off the back of people such as the Retropie makers. If you visit there, you would see that what he is doing is deeply frowned upon. Think about it. Where would our GBZ project be without RetroPie?

I'm not preaching and I know you are a long member of this community but this is something I feel strongly about. Hope you can see that too.

multigamesystem

Post by multigamesystem » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:36 am

Actually I'm making no money on this as its strictly a prototype/proof of concept and printing a high quality print from thingaverse costs 100 USD. This image breaks down the parts costs for you. I dont see me profiting off of Retropie in anyway from this. The 3D model / CAD file alone has over 30 man hours into it. My Attract Mode build also has another solid 30 hours complete with custom designed images and even some of my own videos. This is a one of a kind prototype proof of concept.

Its a bit larger from anything on thingaverse and also almost exactly a 1/2 scale replica of the real thing minus the back details which I modified to work with the RPI 3s outputs and inputs.

When its complete you wont be able to tell it was 3D printed it will looked manufactured. I'm no slouch when it comes to custom work. My website, Instagram and Facebook are a testament too it.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Whether your making a profit or not is irrelevant. The fact is your still selling it which is against the Retropie GNU license. It does not matter how many hours you put into the build. When you boil it down, you just themed it. It's like color theming and adding pretty backgrounds to Windows 10 and the selling it because it is "one of a kind". Sorry you don't see it the same.

nikita1977

Post by nikita1977 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 am

That's no true, he sell his job not the software.