[WANTED] Completed project

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
drlbradley

[WANTED] Completed project

Post by drlbradley » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:15 am

Anyone selling the Gameboy zero build complete?

I'm not sure I'm going to have the time to finish my build before my long vacation, and want to buy a completed one..

anyone?

kappe

Re: [WANTED] Completed project

Post by kappe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Not yet, i'm building mine as a test, my plan is refine the process and make the second one, which version do you want? meme + normal controls + battery + audio?

drlbradley

Post by drlbradley » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:13 am

I'm looking for something to play old MAME stuff on as well as original gameboy roms, so looking for normal gameboy controls, plus the two additional buttons, audio from speaker with vol control as well as audio out from heaphone jack (that mutes the speaker when plugged in), LiPo battery.
Not bothered about HDMI out.

dominator

Post by dominator » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:24 am

I saw someone on Youtube that was selling completed projects with a clear case. I think he was asking $300 for a gameboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzYjArHZ80o

drlbradley

Post by drlbradley » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:50 am

hey, thanks for that.

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Lets do the math here. Heres a very rough, itemized breakdown of the price of all the basic parts for wermy's design, inluding a very rough estimate for shipping costs in the US. Obviously there will be quite a bit of variance based on location, actual parts used, etc.

Rpi0 - $15-20 (its listed as only 5 but you always have to buy it in a ‘package’ that increases price)
Case - $10
SNES controller - $7
USB hub - $12
USB DAC - $6
Microusb breakout - $3
Misc. resistors, capacitors, buttons, wires, solder, hot glue, epoxy - $10
custom DMG 4 button pcb - $15
custom Cartridge edge connector pcb + shell - $20
Cartridge reader - $10
MicroSD 16gb - $20

From Adafruit:
Screen - $45
Powerboost - $20
2000 man battery - $13
mono amp - $3
speaker - $1.50
MicroUSB power supply - $8
Slide switch - $1
Shipping avg. - $15

I could be forgetting some things. Once again this is a super rough estimate, but we get a total, just for parts, at $234.50. If you want any more custom parts, like a screen protector, analog joystick, stereo sound, etc., it will be even more. If you only pay $300 for this product, that will leave roughly $65.50 leftover that you're paying the builder for their time. Lets say they've gotten super good at making these and it only takes them about 6 hours for production + troubleshooting (I don't know about you guys but its already taken me much longer and i'm not even finished yet, but i'm a novice). That means the producer is only getting paid $11/hour to create, in reality, an impressive, custom, value added product.

My point is, if you're expecting to purchase one of these devices, completed, it may be downright unethical to expect to only pay something in the $300 range. If you end up only paying that much I suppose the producer figured out how to really reduce their costs, they miscalculated their supply costs, or severely undervalued their time and ability.

dominator

Post by dominator » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:11 pm

I will sell one for $300, but that's a long way down the line. I doubt I will make much from it, but not everybody can make something like this.
Sourcing quality parts is taking time and there is some fine tuning to do.

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:52 pm

I will sell one for $300, but that's a long way down the line. I doubt I will make much from it, but not everybody can make something like this.
$300 is downright philanthropic! Good for you. 'not everybody can make something like this' is exactly why I don't think i'd be so generous :twisted:

natethegreat28

Post by natethegreat28 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:55 pm

im almost finished my build will be done tonight its a pi boy pocket though

drlbradley

Post by drlbradley » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks for the analysis petran1420, I decided to have a go at making one! I'm finding it a lot easier than I thought I would - mainly due to the help of this forum (and some custom parts!)

I bought two of every component, so I can make a second one when I've finished learning from all my mistakes!