[ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
ekilla

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by ekilla » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 am

Nope, no answer but I saw someone wrote on instagram he got a shipping notification. Not sure about this.

I don't know why he doesn't post anything over here.

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:54 pm

demodummy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:21 pm
Hello again! :) Has anyone heard any new updates since the last for Tier 1 shipping?

I'm willing to wait as long as it takes; I'm not in any rush of any kind and I would like this project to be as solid as it can be when it does ship.

It's just been really quiet for awhile, haha.
These guys are on it, I believe there was some issues with the suppliers but things should be finishing up real soon, trust me it's worth the wait these things are a work of art.

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:12 am

Don´t get me wrong, of course I will wait as long as it takes. I really want to get one of these, they look great.

Just having some sort of info over here too might help, since a lot people from here ordered (at least I think that) and not everyone will see comments on an random Instagram photo.

I think it could take quite some more time.
As far as I know the prototype of the new lens is on its way, needs to be tested to see if it fits and if it does, the rest needs to be ordered.
If not I asume a new one needs to be made and ordered and tested.
And wasn´t there a problem to get the batteries too?

If people know what to expect less question about shipping or status will come. Like mine.

Anyways I´m happy as soon as I get one. :D

mattogodoy

Post by mattogodoy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:56 am

I agree!

We can wait, but having information on what is going on is key.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:12 am

Hey guys, please keep in mind that in most cases people are doing these things in their spare time around their lives. The last update said give him a week or 2 to test / source alternative parts and we're only a week late on that. Sometimes wait times on parts are unpredictable, especially if they're from China.

Bluup

Post by Bluup » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 am

Hey! I'm the other half that's worked on getting the Pocket FE out.

We've tried to keep everyone up to date by updating the first post in this thread and on our Instagram and Discord but totally appreciate that everyone uses different platforms so I'll try to make sure I get the information out better. If you're ever unsure just contact me on here or Discord and I'll give you an update :).

I'll just run through the current events so hopefully it gives a timeline of what's happened so you can see what we've been up to.
We originally planned to do one tier of preorders and prior to this we'd been working to get all our suppliers lined up, everything from shells to batteries. This helped us get the best price and an idea of how long things would take once we placed orders.
We closed the preorders but had a lot of people message us, the same amount as the first preorder and we thought we'd do a second tier as it was just a duplication of orders and assembly like the first tier, so nothing too complex and totally achievable.

First wave finishes and we start contacting and placing orders to our suppliers. The first problem arose when the supplier of the 2000mAh batteries contacted us and said they no longer stocked them. Then the lens supplier replied and said they couldn't do a run of 500 custom as agreed as their minimum order quantity was 1500. This was well over our budget and well over our needs. Again we weren't too worried as there had been another supplier willing to do the quantities needed but for a slightly higher price, we were just going to absorb the cost ourselves at this point to keep things on track. We thought the whole thing would take two weeks to resolve so we updated everyone.

Now, trying to find the batteries was where it got strange. We contacted 6 other battery suppliers and during this time every mention of the exact same battery pretty much disappeared from the web. Webpages would redirect, wholesale stockists suddenly had 'out of stock'. It was and still is really strange. In the end I managed to get hold of a large battery supplier via Skype who informed me that for the dimensions I was giving her it was impossible for 2000mAh batteries and most likely they were 1800mAh. I've since tested some of the 10 that were supplied as samples and despite being labelled as 2000 they were actually 1800. Having stated we were offering 2000mAh we hunted for other batteries that would fit perfectly in the battery compartment, after trying 4 others, none would fit. The last battery we tested arrived yesterday (15th October) and is just a little too tall to go in. We lost a lot of time waiting on battery samples to test. It looks like we're going to have to supply 1800mAh batteries. That said, it's not too much of an issue, when putting the prototypes together we were actually using 1800mAh (mislabelled as 2000mAh) and we were perfectly happy with them. Play time was 3-6 hours depending on the emulator being used. If you do want a 2000mAh, there is an option to put it down the back, in the cart slot, however it would sit directly over the Raspberry Pi, which can get hot, so I would not advise it but we have these batteries in stock if you'd like to use one instead, just send me a direct message on here.

Now the lens. So none of the suppliers who currently make the lens for Gameboy Pockets will do custom ones at low orders and in the end I was recommended someone who is actually a glass cutter who were perfectly happy to do the volumes we needed. The downside was that they didn't already have the specs for a Gameboy Pocket lens so I've had to design one in CAD and send it off and wait for a prototype to see how it fits. I'm currently waiting on the prototype.

Long story short, it's difficult for us to give accurate time estimates at this point as we are working with new suppliers without info on their turn arounds. Things from China can take a while. I apologise for the essay but wanted to be completely up front with where things are at so you can see things are moving along, just not on our original schedule. I'll continue to give updates as and when I get them. We've ordered the batteries so they're on route, just the lens now. That could take another week and a half once I get the sample and give the ok. The factory are saying it's a 7-12 day turn around.

Please, any questions, let me know. :)

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Hey guys,
just want to say thanks for this very detailed update.
I never thought you have an easy project.
I just felt a little lost without Info what's going on and if you could make some progress with the issues.
I see, you could make huge steps forward.

I need to say I didn't recognize you alraedy updated the first post when I send my last comment. Unfortunately this doesn't give the thread an unread status., so it can be easily overseen.

I highly appriciate your update and cross fingers your first lens prototype will come out as you want it.

Thanks for the insight to this project. Hopefully you can solve everything for a longer term and make a lot of people happy with your build.

mattogodoy

Post by mattogodoy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Well, that was a comprehensive update. I appreciate it!

I'm currently under development of a project myself and I can relate to the troubles you're having.
I have no problems waiting. I prefer to have a nice product a bit later than a less quality one right now.

I agree with @ekilla that it's hard to know when an update happens in the initial post. It would be nice to have big updates as normal messages here in the thread.

I'll join the Discord channel to keep up to date.
Thanks and keep it up!

bucky720

Post by bucky720 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Soooo... I opened my mailbox today and unexpectedly recieved a package from the UK. After scraping my brain for a bit (long day at work) I remembered. Could it be?... No... I thought I would get an email. I open it up and 5 of these beauties are sitting inside! I was smiling ear to ear. I was waiting to order from aliexpress, but I guess I better order haha. So in about 2-4 weeks I'll start a build log for these bad boys. :D (sorry for the pics, my camera doesn't do these boards justice. It shattered, so I have tape instead of glass over the lens haha)
Attachments
20181016_182532.jpg
20181016_182532.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 25306 times
20181016_182548.jpg
20181016_182548.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 25306 times
Test... Break... Repeat... :roll:

thebonuslevel

Post by thebonuslevel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Awesome, Thanks for the updates. Although the timeline has been a bit screwy the communication has been decent across all platforms.