How necessary is the fan in the Circuit Sword CM3?

straddle

How necessary is the fan in the Circuit Sword CM3?

Post by straddle » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 am

My Circuit Sword CM3 kit came with the heat sink but not the fan, but I have seen some people adding one to their build. How necessary is the fan? Is passive cooling via the heat sink sufficient, or do people find the device gets very hot without a fan as well? I'm curious to hear what people's experience is playing their finished gameboy for longer stretches. Is overheating an issue? Thanks in advance.

Retrobob

Re: How necessary is the fan in the Circuit Sword CM3?

Post by Retrobob » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:00 pm

Good day! I had emailed Kite about this exact thing. I don't have first hand experience with or without the fan (yet), but this is what Kite had to say:

The fan isn't a requirement as it doesn't typically get hot enough to actually need one. So it's perfectly fine without :) Plus if it ever DID get too hot (80*C) it would clock down and not cause any damage. Even so if you still wanted one, the search term is "30mm sunon" and should get results like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32943260760.html

nicesocks

Re: How necessary is the fan in the Circuit Sword CM3?

Post by nicesocks » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:27 pm

I guess this also means that if you do have a fan, you don't really have to worry about additionally adding venting to the case.

I'll have to test it out. I've been tempted to just put a basic cartridge in the back, even though it'd stifle the air flow. But if you dont really need a fan anyway, it's probably okay?