Want to install the latest RetroPie on an old SAIO +Pi Zero? Try this.

devsfan1830

Want to install the latest RetroPie on an old SAIO +Pi Zero? Try this.

Post by devsfan1830 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 am

Moving these steps from another thread for easier visibility.

The following method is for a manual install of the On Screen Display and Shutdown script for Kites original SAIO board.

This works as of RetroPie 4.7.1

1) Flash a fresh Retropie image to your SD card and remount the SD card on your computer and open the boot folder.

2) Download the config.txt from here https://github.com/kiteretro/Super-AIO/ ... lease/saio and replace the one in the boot folder with it. That will get your screen working. You should then also be able boot retropie and see "gamepad detected" and set up your buttons in retropie.

3) Connect a USB keyboard and connect to wifi in the RetroPie menu. Also enable SSH to make the rest easier. Its better on a PC screen than the tiny handheld display. Also lets you copy and paste the lines below.

4) Do an update of retropie in Retropie Setup and elect to update the kernel/os as well. This make take a WHILE and appear to hang. It hasn't but one step may take about 30 mins to finish up. Reboot when done.

(I did the rest via SSH)

5) run "sudo apt-get install libpng12-0" (remove quotes). The SAIO script relies upon this library but is outdated and no longer installed with retropie. So far installing it manually hasn't broken anything. Not sure if any update in the future will remove this. If the OSD/shutdown stops working probably just run this again.

6) Copy, paste and run each command:

1. git clone https://github.com/geebles/Super-AIO/
2. cd Super-AIO/release/saio
3. sudo dpkg -i python-serial_2.6-1.1_all.deb
4. sudo chmod +x ../tester/pngview
5. sudo chmod +x osd/saio-osd
6. sudo chmod +x rfkill/rfkill
7. sudo chmod +x flash/flash.sh
8. python saio-osd.py (NOTE: this tests the OSD, if you see it on screen you are almost there. CTRL-C to exit it)
9. crontab cronSAIO.txt
10. sudo cp asound.conf /etc/
11. sudo cp config.txt /boot/config.txt
12. sudo cp config-saio.txt /boot/config-saio.txt
13. sudo mv /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart_OLD.sh
14. sudo cp autostart.sh /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh
15. sudo reboot

7) Once rebooted you need to also do the following to get sound working:
1. SSH into pi
2. sudo nano .asoundrc
3. copy and paste the following:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

4.save and reboot

8) When back in retropie press select then open Sound Settings set Volume to 100, Audio Card to Default, Audio Device to PCM and OMX Player Device to ALSA.

You should end up with fully working sound, OSD and safe shutdown via the power switch and Mode switch shortcuts!

If you use video splashscreens with sound. You may need to do the following fix.

1) Run: cd /opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen

2) Run: sudo nano asplashscreen.sh

3) find the line: omxplayer –no-osd -o both -b --layer 10000 "$line" and change to: omxplayer –no-osd -o alsa -b --layer 10000 "$line"

(the change is 'both' to 'alsa')

4) save and reboot.

ltpitt

Re: Want to install the latest RetroPie on an old SAIO +Pi Zero? Try this.

Post by ltpitt » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:27 pm

This is great work!

I am in the same fight and will gladly test this tutorial tomorrow hopefully...

At the moment I got everything working, including pico8, pifba and psxrearmed.
The only nightmare left is mame4all...

Did you have any success with it?

I will add info about how to get those running to this thread, maybe it can be helpful for other people.

ltpitt

Re: Want to install the latest RetroPie on an old SAIO +Pi Zero? Try this.

Post by ltpitt » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:48 am

This is just information I found on the internet long ago and I kept for reference, sadly I lost the names of the original authors.
I take no credit for it but it is good info and it works, I share it here in case other people are looking for it.

How to fix fast sound on pifba
I had to edit the /boot/config.txt and lower down the pixel frequency to 64 instead of 96:
hdmi_timings=320 1 20 30 38 240 1 4 3 10 0 0 0 60 0 6400000 1

How to get pcsx-rearmed (the non lib-retro version) PSX emulator working in RetroPie
lr_pcsx_rearmed simply runs too slowly on the Zero, installing pcsxrearmed can help.

I added pcsx-rearmed (non lr version) from the experimental setup menu but found that it had some big issues:
1. The screen kept flashing between the menu and black
2. Savestates and config file saves were met with "FAIL!" or "Unable to write config" which meant that I would need to set up my controllers every time I started the emulator.

By default, pcsx runs its operating environment out of ./.pcsx, which it creates the first time it is run. This is a relative path, so from wherever pcsx is launched this directory and contained environment are generated. Retropie sets a flag when it invokes the pcsx emulator that specifies a specific config file, however, this config file does not exist, and pcsx doesn't write to that file location anyway.

First thing you need to do is install pcsx-rearmed from the experimental emulators setup menu.

Then you need to make sure that you have a PSX bios file copied to /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS.
I prefer the file SCPH1001.BIN, make sure you know the exact name of this file.

Next you will need to edit /opt/retropie/configs/psx/emulators.cfg
pi@retropie:~ $ sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/psx/emulators.cfg

Change this line:
pcsx-rearmed="/opt/retropie/emulators/pcsx-rearmed/pcsx -cfg /opt/retropie/configs/psx/pcsx.cfg -cdfile %ROM%"

to this:
pcsx-rearmed="/opt/retropie/emulators/pcsx-rearmed/pcsx -cdfile %ROM%"

save the file and exit the emulator.

Next you will need to give pcsx a little help in creating its environment - go to pi's homedir and create the directory .pcsx

pi@retropie:~ $ cd ~
pi@retropie:~ $ mkdir .pcsx

Because EmulationStation uses a script called 'runcommand.sh' to launch emulators, the pcsx binary is called from /opt/retropie/supplementary/ You will need to create a few links from this directory to the new .pcsx directory you just created, and to your BIOS directory:
pi@retropie:~ $ sudo ln -s /home/pi/.pcsx /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/
pi@retropie:~ $ sudo ln -s /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/bios

Now restart EmulationStation, open a PSX game then press a button to enter the runcommand menu and change the default emulator to pcsx-rearmed.

Once pcsx has started enter the pcsx menu by pressing ESC.
You may get the same black flashing screen I did.
The way I got around it was to memorize the keystrokes to change the 'Video output mode' which is under Options -> [Display] -> Video output mode.

If you can't see the menu after hitting ESC press the following on your keyboard:
DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN ENTER
DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN ENTER
LEFT ESC ESC ESC ESC

Bizarre, I know, but what you are doing is switching the Video output from "OpenGL" to "SDL Window"

Now you should be able to navigate the config menu without the flashing black screen. Choose Options -> [BIOS/Plugins] -> BIOS and use the arrow keys to find the BIOS file you copied to your /home/pi/BIOS directory. (I used SCPH1001.BIN)

Press ESC twice and go into 'Controls' and set them up. If your bluetooth controller has lost its connection at this point, reconnect it as you normally would and choose 'Rescan devices' from the 'Controller' menu. When you are done setting up your controllers choose 'Save global config' from the menu - This will generate a file called /home/pi/.pcsx/pcsx.cfg that contains all of your config properties for pcsx.

In my case the DPAD was not working.
The only way I've found to solve the issue was using xboxdrv, as suggested here:
viewtopic.php?p=49516&sid=f67623c05283b ... d9c#p49516

Once you have saved the config you should be good for subsequent gaming sessions.

How to install and configure PICO-8
If you are a fan of the lovely Fantasy Console PICO-8 (and you really should :D) you can use this thread to install it on Retropie:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3935

The only issue remaining is that it is not always possible to exit PICO-8.
For this reason I have created a Python script that maps the quit button to "R":
https://github.com/ltpitt/python-SAIO-button-customizer