Swapping a Zero 2 in a Super AIO?

gizmo

Swapping a Zero 2 in a Super AIO?

Post by gizmo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:25 am

Surprised no one else has asked this so here goes.. Would it be possible to desolder the zero from my aio and hook up a new zero 2? I suspect it might also take some software tweaks from @kite to get the aio's features working? My saio came presoldered but looking through the soldering method it looks like a lot of solder is used to make each connection? Therefore would desoldering even be possible?

Any thought much appreciated. I'm sure must be others who are contemplating this after the news of the zero 2? The performance increase would be amazing!

Anthology

Re: Swapping a Zero 2 in a Super AIO?

Post by Anthology » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:12 am

gizmo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:25 am
Surprised no one else has asked this so here goes.. Would it be possible to desolder the zero from my aio and hook up a new zero 2? I suspect it might also take some software tweaks from @kite to get the aio's features working? My saio came presoldered but looking through the soldering method it looks like a lot of solder is used to make each connection? Therefore would desoldering even be possible?

Any thought much appreciated. I'm sure must be others who are contemplating this after the news of the zero 2? The performance increase would be amazing!
It should be doable to desolder the current 'zero'

Things to check:
  • Is the pin layout of the zero and the zero2 the same?
  • I'll guess we need to wait at retropie to release a new image, because I don't think we can run the same image on the zero2