Pi3 SAIO Build

Varthdader

Pi3 SAIO Build

Post by Varthdader » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi!

I am currently fitting the Pi3 in my DMG shell.

Per the Wiki, I am about to put the unpopulated Pi3 in the cartridge slot, with the microSD poking out right where the battery lid latch goes.

If I do put the Pi3 there, I don´t have space for the latch of the battery lid.

Has anybody done this and how did you make the lid stay closed? I would like to avoid tape or adhesives, and if possible magnets.

Alternatively, is there any issue with flipping the Pi3+Fan and having the microSD poke out of a cutout on the game cartridge top? This orientation has the advantage of having the fan blow upwards (hot air tends to go up) with the possibility of having some mesh or slots to help hot air exit the case.

Any ideas welcome!Thnx

dryja123

Re: Pi3 SAIO Build

Post by dryja123 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Hey, heres a picture on how I fitted mine, hope it helps. I had to cut the battery tab off and I used a super tiny amount of very thick and very strong double sided tape to hold the battery door on. The tape was firm enough to hold the door but not so firm that it didn't come off when I needed to remove it.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to turn the Pi the other way because you need to connect the ribbon to the ext board to connect both boards together.
20171110_122611.jpg
20171110_122611.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 4288 times
20171105_125302.jpg
20171105_125302.jpg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 4288 times

Varthdader

Post by Varthdader » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 am

Hey dryja123 thanks for the tips.

Your build looks amazing by the way!

Unfortunately, I am trying to avoid using tapes as a means to hold the lid in place, and I would like to have the SD card accessible, so just mounting the pi further up would not work since the sd would not be accessible.
IMG_9177.JPG
IMG_9177.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 4275 times
I am about to mount the pi board with the SD on top, so the ribbon would just come from the opposite side and still be able to reach the SAIO socket which is more or less in the middle at 90 degrees from the pi EXT Board.
IMG_9178.JPG
IMG_9178.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 4275 times
Does anybody see any issue as to wether the Pi should not be mounted with the SD on the top and the fan blowing towards the top too?
Wouldn't the fan work better this way?

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:06 am

Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

Varthdader

Post by Varthdader » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 am

Hey moooarcuuuus, yes I knew about booting from Usb, and as a matter of fact I opted to wire the side sd socket to usb on my SAIO, but I am saving that SD socket as an extra not the main system socket.

Since Pi3 wiki and how to´s are somewhat fragmented about, I just wanted to see alternate methods or possible shortcomings of mounting the Pi3 the other way round to what the photos of Giles´ wiki show, and was wondering how did Giles keep his battery lid closed when using the indent for the latch as an SD card access.

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:42 pm

Have you tested it?

I think, you can cut some more mm from the "upper" side (USB) of the pi3.
Attachments
IMG_9178.JPG
IMG_9178.JPG (2.65 MiB) Viewed 4229 times
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over