[SOLVED] CSO PG red flashing

em0

[SOLVED] CSO PG red flashing

Post by em0 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi, total newbie.

I've followed the test electronics sanity check guide in the wiki. everything worked fine until i've plugged in the battery and nothing happened. I've unplugged the battery and retried the the first step and PG red is flashing and when a push the power on button everything flashes like a christmastree :(.

I've trippel checked that I had the polarity right with the battery.. is it possible that the battery somehow fried the board? its a 5000mha 3,8V LIPO orderd from aliexpress.

As luck is I orderd two circuits swords, but now I'm afraid that the same will happen to the second one when I plug in the battery.

what to do? please assist..
Last edited by em0 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

dryja123

Re: Cricuit sword PG red flashing

Post by dryja123 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Did you verify the polarity of the battery before you plugged it into the CSO? Cheap chinese batteries may have their polarities mixed up. If the polarities were mixed up you may have fried your board.

em0

Re: CSO PG red flashing

Post by em0 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 am

Ahh, ofcourse you are right. :(

I have no multimeter in reach for the moment but when I remove the the kaptiontape on the protection board of the battery it seems that the cables are soldered on the wrong polarity.

to verify I remove the kapton tape on the second battery I was going to use for the second CSO.. and there it looks like the cables goes to the right polarity.

its clearly a difference between the batteries. I'm going to get my multimeter today to verify everything but I guess my first CSO board is fried then. :cry:

Is it repairable fairly easy? (probably not I guess :cry: )

Kite, is it possible to pre-order just the the board and nothing else in your next CSO production run?

c_hri_s

Post by c_hri_s » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 am

Did you try connecting it with the correct polarity? It might not be dead.

When you press the power button in that first test it's supposed to light up like a christmas tree :)

em0

Post by em0 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 am

Yeah, but after the battery was connected and nothing happened I connected the USB-c the following happens.

the PG red flashing fast.

when pushing the power button a lot of leds starts flashing, it seems to be some kind of pattern like 3 - 3 - 2 if I remember correctly.
also not all of the powerrail leds light up, just two and one that lights up faintly. it definitely didn't looked like that the first time I tried with the USB-c :)

I'll try to attach a video of it tonight when I have it in fron of me.

kite

Post by kite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 am

Can you let me know what happens when you now put the correct battery in? And also send some close up (in focus and in light) pictures of that whole power circuitry area (around where the batt connector is) as I can assess what chips may have had it. It SHOULD already have reverse protection built in on the main charging chip.. it should be possible to repair if there is damage, especially as I'd be interested in seeing what happened in this case!

With the battery removed and USB ONLY plugged in (without a CM3 in) what happens?
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

em0

Post by em0 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Ok great news, it doesent seem to be completely fried :)

I did as you said Kite, connected the battery with the correctly soldered polarity(checked with a multimeter first), and everything lit up with a steady light as it should inkluding all the power rail leds.

BUT

When i disconnect the battery and connect the USB-c everything is back to before like a flashing christmastree. so the problem seems to be with the USB-c and powersupply circuitry. I've tried 2 different USB-c cables and poweradapters with the same results.

here's a video how it looks when USB-c is connected:
https://youtu.be/K2cehhQ2NhI

To shine some light on what I did in order for all of this to happen :( , here's the steps in chronological order in detail:
1. connected USB-c to the mainboard (no other components attached)
2. verified the PG RED led lit up
3. Pushed the powerbutton and verified all the leds lit up inkluding the 5x power leds
4. disconnected the USB-c
5. connected the faulty polarity battery (noting happened, ie. nothing lit up)
6. connected the USB-c (noting happened, ie. nothing lit up)
7. disconnected the battery and the USB-c
8. connected the USB-c (PG RED flashing and pushing powerbutton starts flashing the leds intermittently as shown in video above)
file[1].jpeg
closeup of USB-c connector and surrounding components
file[1].jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 5272 times
file1.jpeg
closeup of batteryconnector and surrounding components
file1.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 5272 times

kite

Post by kite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Hm, with battery in and USB C, does it look like it is charging or does it still do the weird flashing thing? Do you have one of those USB power testers that show the current reading? If so use that and see how much power it is able to pull..

The only thing in between the USB C and the rest of the board is the battery charge IC, I suspect that is the only casualty here.. if you PM me I can repair that board for you (£15, includes return postage)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

em0

Post by em0 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm

With battery and USB-c it doesn't looks like its charging.. all leds are off.

no sorry, I dont have a USB tester.

I'll send you a PM for repair, big thanks Kite! :D

cvondra

Re: [SOLVED] CSO PG red flashing

Post by cvondra » Tue May 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Well shit. Same situation for me. Didn't pay attention to the battery polarity and poof. the ic between the USB C and batt is toast. FUDGE. Guess I will be PM'ing you too Kite.