[ SOLVED ] Mode button + R not changing dpad input

jermzz

[ SOLVED ] Mode button + R not changing dpad input

Post by jermzz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:05 pm

Sorry for another mode button issue, Kite. Not sure how many have got far enough to mess with this configuration yet, or maybe I’m doing something wrong.

As per the wiki, I went to configure input, got down to “right analog” and pressed mode + R1 and I still get “already taken” when trying to configure the dpad. I tried mode + L1 subsequently just in case I had the wires backward.

Couple things not sure if effecting:

1, when configuring, I use left joystick in Retropie as my main joystick. The wiki refers to “joystick 1.” Just making sure I’m trying to configure the right one. Right joystick is the one I’m trying to configure to the dpad.

2. Retropie has lots of left and right buttons.

L/R Shoulder
L/R Trigger
L/R Thumb

I configured L/R shoulder as my 2 rear buttons so they can be used for page up/down when game surfing. I’m not sure if that’s considered R1, or even makes a difference for the mode button. I assume it’s just whatever button the wire is tied to, but I’m just giving all the information I can.

Updated software and Arduino again just to see if you made any changes. No go. Thanks.
Last edited by jermzz on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

kite

Re: Mode button + R not changing dpad input

Post by kite » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 am

The "L" and "R" that is referred to is in reference to the physical pin on the CSO that it is connected to, not the one that you configure in SW. So, your physical L/R buttons, what wires did you connect them to? Do you have a picture? You may need to hold the button combo for a second or so. If it says "already configured" then it hasn't made the change.. i'm working on getting more feedback to the user about this in a software update (not released, coming soon)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 am

kite wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 am
The "L" and "R" that is referred to is in reference to the physical pin on the CSO that it is connected to, not the one that you configure in retropie. So, your physical L/R buttons, what wires did you connect them to? Do you have a picture? You may need to hold the button combo for a second or so. If it says "already configured" then it hasn't made the change.. i'm working on getting more feedback to the user about this in a software update (not released, coming soon)
I have them tied to the wires on the harness on that side. Picture below. I don’t see R1 on the CSO itself, but it was logical to use these wires. Is that incorrect? Maybe I need to wire direct to CSO.

EDIT: I’m seeing on the board now (old picture because gameboy is currently assembled) that it is L1 and L2 buttons I’m using. R1 must be taken directly from the CSO somewhere I’m assuming.
Attachments
7A7BBB47-21C7-4534-857B-263659B98906.png
7A7BBB47-21C7-4534-857B-263659B98906.png (7.13 MiB) Viewed 4638 times
7911E5E6-BC7B-4535-8AB5-4CCEC59AD291.png
7911E5E6-BC7B-4535-8AB5-4CCEC59AD291.png (8.51 MiB) Viewed 4638 times

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Silly me. There is another connector hiding under the back board for R1 and R2. I desoldered the L2 and connected the R1.

There’s 2 ground wires. Only use one?

I rebooted after fixing and now my dpad must be pressed very hard to move in menus. Strange.

kite

Post by kite » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:08 pm

If you wanted to keep it as you had it, change this line in code: https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... T.ino#L403

so that it reads:

Code: Select all

if (btns[B_L2]) {
And upload to arduino..

Changing those solders shouldn't have changed anything to do with DPAD :/ perhaps in taking apart something moved?

EDIT: PS your fan and heatsink are pointing the wrong way :) the fan opening points at the heatsink, and the heatsink has the 'lines' pointing down so the air can pass between them
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm

kite wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:08 pm
If you wanted to keep it as you had it, change this line in code: https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... T.ino#L403

so that it reads:

Code: Select all

if (btns[B_L2]) {
And upload to arduino..

Changing those solders shouldn't have changed anything to do with DPAD :/ perhaps in taking apart something moved?

EDIT: PS your fan and heatsink are pointing the wrong way :) the fan opening points at the heatsink, and the heatsink has the 'lines' pointing down so the air can pass between them
Yeah these pictures are from when I was building. Someone else had pointed out the HSF and I changed it, although didn’t see any difference in heat.

I will try this when I get home on Sunday. Thanks for the response!

jermzz

Re: [ SOLVED ] Mode button + R not changing dpad input

Post by jermzz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 am

Once I fixed the wires all is well. Hard button presses fixed itself on reboot. Thanks Kite.