Constant "Up" Input

pogo

Constant "Up" Input

Post by pogo » Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am

Hi all

I've just finally finished by CSO Build. When configuring ES, I found that it always said something like "Key already taken" when I started to configure. After finishing the configuration, I found that for whatever reason it seems to receive a constant up input. In the menu that is shown after the config, the selection bar jumps up one menu entry at a time, and keeps on repeating this for ever.
So I've opened it up again, removed all the screws to ensure that there's nothing that could be giving an up input. Powered on, and the same problem still happens.
Does anybody have any ideas what the problem here could be, and how I can solve it?

Thanks
Martin

kite

Re: Constant "Up" Input

Post by kite » Fri May 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Can you carefully inspect this chip, to see if there are any solder bridges?

Also, with a multimeter can you measure the resistance between the UP pads .. measure between the TOP and the BOTTOM of the contact on the PCB..
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

pogo

Post by pogo » Sat May 05, 2018 12:05 am

The solder points look clean to me under a magnifying glass. Cannot see anything wrong with them
Measuring the resistance started off with 100k Ohm, but the value kept on going up. I stopped measuring when it reached 130k Ohm....

Yesterday I also flashed the newest version of the image from github to the SD-Card (I'm not sure which one I had on previously, probably the first version) just to ensure it's nothing software related, but the problem still happens...

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks
Martin

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 am

I've had a couple CSO with various input issues. One didn't even recognize the atmega chip at all and i had to use a keyboard just to connect to wifi. Could have been an error when the audrino was programmed. Once i re-flashed the code, it was fine.

try updating the audrino code.

ssh in and CD to the Circuit sword directory.

run ./update.sh

run ./flash-audrino.sh

sudo reboot.

maybe that will help. It's at least worth a try.

pogo

Post by pogo » Sun May 06, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you for the suggestion. Any chance for a bit more details? I'm not a linux guy unfortunately...

I've found the update.sh script in the Circuit-Sword directory.
Running the update.sh script from in there only turns the screen black, it doesn't seem to do anything. I've had to restart via the power switch to get it back so I can enter anything.

I've been unable to find a flash-arduino.sh script though.
There's a "flash.sh" in Circruit-Sword\kite-arduino\flash, but I'm not sure if that's the correct one.
Displaying the readme.txt file in that same folder mentions that the proper firmware needs to already be downloaded, which I don't think I have?

If the update.sh script needs internet, I don't have that configured at all and have not really a clue how to do that over the bash shell :(

So, any details and further help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

pogo

Post by pogo » Mon May 07, 2018 10:38 am

I've reflashed the Arduino according to the instructions in the wiki thru the Arduino Studio, but still the same problem happens. I guess I'll be contacting Kite via email....

Thanks
Martin

Cooper270987

Post by Cooper270987 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:52 pm

I had a similar problem. What I found out is it was a “up” input from the the analogue stick rather than the d-pad, which is even more confusing as I don’t have a stick in my build. As a work around I ended up disabling the stick in the Arduino code.

pogo

Post by pogo » Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 am

Interesting. I don't have a stick in my build either. How did you find out that the input was coming from the stick?
Certainly something I am going to try, thanks for the tip!

pogo

Post by pogo » Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks Cooper, you seem to have hit the nail on the head. I've disabled the two analog inputs, reflashed the arduino, and the problem is gone. Since I don't plan on a joystick, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Thank you!

kite

Post by kite » Wed May 09, 2018 4:56 am

I'll rework the arduino code at some point to better detect the non-existence of joysticks.. it currently already does that but obviously not very well!
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage